Representative descriptions of topics covered in each category are provided below.
Current section: I. Literal Comprehension
I. Literal Comprehension
Literal comprehension content measures the ability to understand accurately and completely what is directly stated in a written message.
- Main Ideas
- Identify summaries or paraphrases of the main idea or primary purpose of a reading selection
- Supporting Ideas
- Identify summaries or paraphrases of the supporting ideas and specific details in a reading selection
- Identify how a reading selection is organized in terms of cause/effect, compare/contrast, problem/solution, etc.
- Identify key transition words and phrases in a reading selection and how they are used
- Vocabulary in Context
- Identify the meanings of words as they are used in the context of a reading selection