Administering Tests Around the World
We administer most of our tests in one of four ways:
- Paper-based Tests: Most of our paper-based tests, which test takers fill out with paper and pencil, are administered under standardized conditions at colleges or schools. Answer sheets are returned to ETS for scoring and analysis.
- Single-purpose Tests: Some single-purpose paper- and computer-based tests, such as placement exams, may be administered on a semi-secure basis under the applicable institution's control.
- Computer-based Tests: Many ETS computer-based tests are administered at ETS-authorized, technologically equipped test centers.
Internet-based Tests: These tests can be given in a wide range of Internet-enabled testing venues, without the need for dedicated testing workstations.
Accommodating Test Takers with Disabilities or Special Needs
ETS is committed to making sure that all students have a fair opportunity to demonstrate what they know and have learned, including test takers with documented disabilities or special needs. In both computer-based and paper-based testing situations, ETS can arrange for special accommodations, such as:
- additional time for taking the test
- Braille and cassette versions of tests for sight-impaired test takers
- sign language interpretation for hearing-impaired test takers
- ZoomText® and customized presentation colors in computer-based tests
Find out more about testing accommodations for test takers with disabilities or health-related needs.