TOEFL® Tip: Organize Your Reading Tasks
- Identify the passage type (e.g., classification, cause/effect, compare/contrast, problem/solution, description, narration, etc.) and its organization.
- Organize the information in the passage:
- Outline the passage to distinguish between major and minor points.
- If the passage categorizes information, create a chart and place the information in appropriate categories.
- Create an oral or written summary of the passage using charts and outlines.
- Paraphrase individual sentences in a passage. Then, paraphrase entire paragraphs.
Practice your reading skills with TOEFL Practice Online and receive instant scores to confirm that you are ready for test day.
Now the TOEFL program can help you match your reading score to a Lexile® measure and find reading materials for your reading level.