TOEFL® Tip: The Complete Writing Checklist
Use these exercises as a checklist to prepare for the writing section of the TOEFL iBT™ test.
- Increase vocabulary and knowledge of idiomatic speech so you can use it appropriately.
- Learn grammatical structures so that you can use them naturally when writing.
- Learn the conventions of spelling, punctuation and layout (e.g., paragraph creation).
- Express information in an organized manner, displaying unity of thought and coherence.
- Use signal words and phrases, such as "On the one hand" or "In conclusion," to create a clear structure for your response.
- As you practice, ask yourself these questions:
- Did I complete the task? Did I write clearly?
- Did I make grammatical errors?
- Did I use words correctly?
- Did I organize my ideas clearly and coherently?
- Did I use the time effectively?
Practice your writing skills with TOEFL Practice Online and receive instant scores to confirm that you are ready for test day.
If you want more writing practice, ask your teacher about ETS's Criterion® Online Writing Evaluation Service or visit www.ets.org/criterion.