About the Criterion® Online Writing Evaluation Service
The Criterion® Online Writing Evaluation service is a web-based instructor-led writing tool that helps students plan, write and revise their essays. It gives them immediate diagnostic feedback and more opportunities to practice writing at their own pace. The Criterion service gives instructors and administrators at schools, universities and institutions a comprehensive writing solution to help improve student outcomes by freeing up valuable classroom time to concentrate on higher level writing skills and areas of improvement.
The Criterion service benefits administrators, instructors and students alike. It allows students to improve their writing skills while working independently with immediate, detailed feedback on grammar, spelling, mechanics, usage, and organization and development. Students get more writing practice without adding to instructor workload, and instructors can concentrate on the content and style of students' work and teach higher level writing skills. Learn more about why you should choose the Criterion service.
Instructors can use their own topics or select from the Criterion topic library of more than 400 essay assignments at various skill levels. Because it is offered online, both instructors and students can access the Criterion service anywhere — from school, home or any place with an Internet connection.
The Criterion service offers:
- Immediate, automated scoring and diagnostic review
- Alignment to Common Core State Standards (CCSS)
- A new Peer Review Tool that allows peer groups to view and comment on each other's work
- In-depth customizable reports — both student and group reports for two kinds of valuable performance data
- Embedded teacher comments and student/teacher dialog boxes
- Hundreds of topics in the Criterion library for instructors to choose from
- A Writer's Handbook (available for Elementary, Middle School, High School, College and English Language Learning levels, as well as in Spanish/English, Simplified Chinese/English, Japanese/English and Korean/English)
- Unlimited and convenient access — log in anytime, anywhere there is Internet access
- Compatibility across multiple operating platforms, including iPad® tablets
Learn more about how the Criterion service works.