What Is the ELM?
The ELM is a one-time assessment that helps CSU determine what mathematics courses you should take upon enrollment.
The test consists of 50 questions that you have 90 minutes to answer. The topics covered include numbers and data, algebra and geometry.
You May Be Exempt
You do not have to take the ELM if you present proof of one of the following:
- A score of "Exempt" or "Ready for college-level Mathematics courses" on the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP), taken in grade 11 in conjunction with the CST in Summative High School Mathematics or Algebra II
- A score of "Conditionally ready for college-level Mathematics courses" or "Conditional" on the CSU Early Assessment Program (EAP) taken in grade 11 along with the California Standards Test in Summative High School Mathematics or Algebra II, provided you successfully complete a CSU-approved 12th grade math course that requires Algebra II as a prerequisite
- A score of 550 or above on the mathematics section of the College Board SAT Reasoning Test
- A score of 550 or above on a College Board SAT Subject Test in Mathematics (level 1 or level 2)
- A score of 23 or above on the American College Testing (ACT) Mathematics Test
- A score of 3 or above on the College Board Advanced Placement Calculus AB or Calculus BC exam
- A score of 3 or above on the College Board Advanced Placement Statistics examination
- Completion and transfer to CSU of a college course that satisfies the requirement in Quantitative Reasoning, provided such a course was completed with a grade of C or better
How Much Does It Cost?
The fee for taking the ELM is $18. Payment is required at the time of registration and must be paid by credit card, e-check or PayPal®. If you cannot pay by credit card, e-check or PayPal, please contact ETS at EPT-ELMRequest@ets.org or 1-925-808-2142. Fees are nonrefundable during the two weeks prior to the test date. All fees are subject to change.
For more details about the ELM and additional sample questions, download Focus on Mathematics or visit www.csumathsuccess.org.