ETS Florida and the Islands Regional Comprehensive Center
The Florida and the Islands Regional Comprehensive Center (FLICC) is operated by Educational Testing Service (ETS). It is one of 15 regional centers funded by the U.S. Department of Education. The Comprehensive Centers Program is authorized by Title II of the Educational Technical Assistance Act of 2002.
FLICC (also referred to as the Center) serves the state of Florida and the territories of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. It is located in Tampa, Fla.
The Center provides technical assistance to state educational agencies (SEAs) that builds their capacity to:
- support local educational agencies (LEAs or districts) and schools, especially low-performing districts and schools
- improve educational outcomes for all students
- close achievement gaps
- improve the quality of instruction
The Center provides high-quality technical assistance that focuses on key initiatives, aligns with the work of the Content Centers, and builds the capacity of SEAs to implement, support, scale up and sustain initiatives statewide. Additionally, it builds the capacity of SEAs to lead and support their LEAs and schools in improving student outcomes. The Center provides training and technical assistance in the implementation and administration of programs authorized under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act and in the use of research-based information and strategies.
Project outcomes include:
- increasing the number and percentage of students who enter postsecondary training without the need for remediation
- improving teacher and leader quality by working with states and territories to create recruitment, training and retention policies and strategies that establish quality teachers and leaders, especially in low-performing schools
- improving principal quality by creating collaboration mechanisms among SEAs, universities and local school systems to select and prepare effective school leaders
- improving student achievement in reading, mathematics and science by providing professional development that focuses on using data and leading-edge research, as well as innovative approaches to turn around low-performing schools
- improving the performance of every student by facilitating the delivery of professional development for teachers and leaders to help them recognize and address the unique needs of special populations