The Florida and the Islands Regional Comprehensive Center (FLICC) is assisting the Virgin Islands Department of Education (VIDE) in building state capacity to develop a comprehensive Employee Effectiveness System (EES), formerly known as the Virgin Islands Teacher and Leader Effectiveness System (VITaLE).
FLICC staff is facilitating the VIDE EES Task Force appointed by the VIDE commissioner to continue to develop an evaluation and growth components for all education employees and fully implement, monitor and continuously improve the comprehensive teacher and leader evaluation and support system that is aligned with major initiatives outlined in the Consolidated Grant Application. The VIDE EES Task Force is comprised of the major stakeholders: State Education Agency, local education agencies, school administrators, teachers, as well as representatives from the American Federation of Teachers and Education Administrators Association/American Federation of School Administrators unions, VI Board of Education and the University of the Virgin Islands. The projected time frame for the EES project is five years (2012–2017).
The VIDE EES in conjunction with VIDE Strategic Plan will work to improve achievement for all students by:
- creating a system of support that ensures all students have the opportunity to learn from effective teachers and leaders
- creating improvement plans based on state priorities that meet program and budget requirements and timelines, and that identify responsibilities at all levels
- developing a system of rewards and support for schools based on their progress
- increasing communication between the state, districts and schools
- providing training for teachers leaders, and other education employees and involving them in tracking achievement of goals