GRE® Fee Reduction Program
At ETS we believe that the cost of taking a GRE® test should not be a barrier to graduate study. ETS provides the fee reduction program for individuals who demonstrate financial need and for national programs that work with underrepresented groups. A Fee Reduction Certificate may be used for one GRE® revised General Test and/or one Subject Test. Certificate users pay 50 percent of the regular test fee. Fee Reduction Certificates cannot be combined with other offers.
For Those with Financial Need
ETS offers a limited number of GRE Fee Reduction Certificates on a first-come, first-served basis to college seniors and unenrolled college graduates who meet the following eligibility requirements.
- receiving financial aid through an undergraduate college in the United States, U.S. Territories or Puerto Rico, and
- a dependent, who has an Institutional Student Information Report (ISIR) that shows a parental contribution of not more than $1,500 for the senior year, or
- self-supporting and have an ISIR that shows a contribution of not more than $1,900 for the senior year
Unenrolled college graduates:
- have applied for financial aid, and
- have an ISIR that indicates self-supporting status and a contribution of not more than $1,900
In order to apply for a GRE Fee Reduction Certificate, students are instructed to contact their financial aid office to see if they qualify. Once eligibility is established, the financial aid office issues the Fee Reduction Certificate and a copy of the student's ISIR.
If the Financial Aid office at your institution would like to participate in the Fee Reduction Program, please email GRE_Fee_Reduction@ets.org or call at 1-609-771-7092 (Educators only).
For Those who are Unemployed
ETS also offers a limited number of GRE Fee Reduction Certificates to individuals who can confirm that they are unemployed and receiving unemployment compensation. Those who qualify can register to take the computer-based GRE revised General Test only for half the cost of the regular test fee. Please pass along the Fee Reduction Program for the Unemployed document to any interested students.
For National Programs in the United States
GRE Fee Reduction Certificates are also made available to the following programs in the United States:
- Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program (The McNair Scholars Program)
- Project 1000 Program
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- GEM: National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science Program
- PREP: Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program
Access the free, official GRE Advisor Kit!
New edition — the most comprehensive GRE data released to date.
Promote your GRE scores acceptance policy.