At ETS we believe that the cost of taking a GRE® test should not be a barrier to graduate study. ETS provides the fee reduction program for individuals who demonstrate financial need and for national programs that work with underrepresented groups. A Fee Reduction Voucher may be used for one GRE® General Test and/or one Subject Test. Voucher users pay 50 percent of the regular test fee. Fee Reduction Vouchers cannot be combined with other offers.
For Those With Financial Need
ETS offers a limited number of GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers on a first-come, first-served basis to college seniors and unenrolled college graduates who meet the following eligibility requirements.
- receiving financial aid through an undergraduate college in the United States, U.S. Territories or Puerto Rico, and
- a dependent, who has a FAFSA Student Aid Report (SAR) that shows a parental contribution of not more than $2,500 for the senior year, or
- self-supporting and have a SAR that shows a contribution of not more than $3,000 for the senior year
Unenrolled college graduates:
- have applied for financial aid, and
- have a SAR that shows a self-supporting status and a contribution of not more than $3,000
To apply for a GRE Fee Reduction Voucher, students should complete the GRE Fee Reduction Request form and follow the instructions on the form regarding submission of materials to ETS. Students should allow up to three weeks for processing and mail delivery.
For Those Who are Unemployed
ETS also offers a limited number of GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers to individuals who can confirm that they are unemployed and receiving unemployment compensation. Those who qualify can register to take the computer-delivered GRE General Test or a GRE Subject Test for half the cost of the regular test fee. Please pass along the Fee Reduction Program for the Unemployed document to any interested students.
For National Programs in the United States
GRE Fee Reduction Vouchers are also made available to the following programs in the United States:
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science Program (GEM)
- Maximizing Access to Research Careers (MARC) Undergraduate Student Training in Academic Research (U-STAR) Program
- Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- Research Initiative for Scientific Enhancement (RISE) Program
- TRIO Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program
- TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) Program
Make sure GRE test takers ready for business school know they are welcome.
Access the free, official GRE Advisor Kit!
A must-have for any program using GRE scores. Includes best practices, GRE score interpretation data and more.
Join our mailing list to stay informed about GRE tests and services for score users, advisors and educators.