Computer-based GRE® revised General Test Content and Structure
The overall testing time for the computer-based GRE® revised General Test is about three hours and 45 minutes. There are six sections with a 10-minute break following the third section.
Structure of the Computer-based Test
|Measure||Number of Questions||Allotted Time|
(One section with two separately timed tasks)
|One "Analyze an Issue" task and one "Analyze an Argument" task||30 minutes per task|
|20 questions per section||30 minutes per section|
|20 questions per section||35 minutes per section|
¹An unidentified unscored section that does not count toward your score may be included and may appear in any order after the Analytical Writing section. Questions in the unscored section are being tried out either for possible use in future tests or to ensure that scores on new editions of the test are comparable to scores from earlier editions.
²An identified research section that is not scored may be included in place of the unscored section. The research section will always appear at the end of the test. Questions in this section are included for ETS research purposes and will not count toward your score.
The Analytical Writing section will always be first. The Verbal Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning and unidentified/unscored sections may appear in any order; therefore, you should treat each section as if it counts toward your score.
Test Design Features
The GRE revised General Test design features advanced technology that allows you to freely move forward and backward throughout an entire section. Specific features include:
- Preview and review capabilities within a section
- A "mark and review" feature to tag questions, so you can skip them and return later if you have time remaining in the section
- The ability to change/edit answers within a section
- An on-screen calculator for the Quantitative Reasoning section
- New answer formats, including tasks such as numeric entry and highlighting a sentence in a passage to answer a question
To experience the test design features of the computer-based test, download POWERPREP® II software.
- Which Test Format Is Offered in My Location?
- Free and Priced Test Preparation Materials
- Computer-based Test Centers and Dates
Register for the GRE revised General Test
Send institutions the scores that reflect your personal best.
Learn more >
The GRE® Success Starter video and 2nd edition of The Official Guide can help you do your best on the test! Shop now >