The overall testing time for the paper-delivered GRE® General Test is about three hours and 30 minutes. There are six sections with a 10-minute break following the second section.
Structure of the Paper-delivered Test
|Measure||Number of Questions||Allotted Time|
|Section 1: "Analyze an Issue" task
Section 2: "Analyze an Argument" task
|30 minutes per section|
|25 questions per section||35 minutes per section|
|25 questions per section||40 minutes per section|
The Analytical Writing sections will always be first, while the other four sections may appear in any order.
Test Design Features
- Answers are entered into the test book, rather than a separate answer sheet.
- You will be provided an ETS calculator to use during the Quantitative Reasoning section; you may not use your own calculator.
To familiarize yourself with the paper-delivered test, try the full-length practice test in the free Practice Book for the Paper-delivered GRE® General Test, Second Edition.
- Test Preparation Materials
- List of Paper-delivered Test Centers and Dates
- Test Centers, Test Dates and Seat Availability
Register for the GRE General Test
The official practice tests from the maker of the test gives you the experience of taking the real, computer-delivered GRE General Test and more!
Approach test day with more confidence, knowing you can send the scores that show your personal best — only with the ScoreSelect® option.
Check out our FREE Official test prep and shop our Official Practice Question Guides and more.