Paper-delivered GRE® revised General Test Content and Structure
The overall testing time for the paper-delivered GRE® revised General Test is about three hours and 30 minutes. There are six sections with a 10-minute break following the second section.
Structure of the Paper-delivered Test
|Measure||Number of Questions||Allotted Time|
|Section 1: "Analyze an Issue" task
Section 2: "Analyze an Argument" task
|30 minutes per section|
|25 questions per section||35 minutes per section|
|25 questions per section||40 minutes per section|
The Analytical Writing sections will always be first, while the other four sections may appear in any order.
Test Design Features
- When taking a Verbal Reasoning or Quantitative Reasoning section, you are free, within that section, to skip questions and come back to them later or change the answer to a question.
- There are paper-delivered equivalents for most of the question types, including text completions and numeric entry.
- Answers are entered into the test book, rather than a separate answer sheet.
- You will be provided an ETS calculator to use during the Quantitative Reasoning section; you may not use your own calculator.
To familiarize yourself with the paper-delivered test, try the full-length practice test in the Practice Book for the Paper-based GRE® revised General Test, Second Edition.
- Test Preparation Materials
- List of Paper-based Test Centers and Dates
- Test Centers, Test Dates and Seat Availability
Register for the GRE revised General Test
Show schools only the scores you want them to see — only with the ScoreSelect® option.
and check out the $4.99 mobile app. Start practicing today!
The GRE® Success Starter video and 2nd edition of The Official Guide can help you do your best on the test! Save 30% on select test prep now.