With the POWERPREP® practice tests (free POWERPREP® Online and POWERPREP PLUS® Online), you'll experience a simulation of the actual computer-delivered GRE® General Test that includes the test-taker friendly design features you'll encounter on test day, like moving back and forth between questions and changing answers within a section. The practice tests also provide the following accommodations that simulate the experience of testing with accommodations:
- extended time
- extra breaks
- screen magnification
- selectable colors
- screen reader and refreshable braille compatibility
Accessing the POWERPREP Practice Tests for the first time and need accommodations?
To start practicing with a POWERPREP practice test, follow the instructions below:
- Go to the Shop for Test Preparation section of your ETS Account.
- Add a POWERPREP practice test(s) to your cart and select "Next" to checkout.
- Once you have completed the checkout process, your POWERPREP practice test(s) will be added to the My Test Preparation and Services section of your ETS Account. Go to this section and find the practice test and select "Go To Practice Test" to launch your test.
- On the first screen of the practice test, check the box "Select testing accommodations for this practice test."
- Select your testing accommodations from the expanded list.
Note: To ensure you have as authentic an experience as possible when taking the practice tests, we recommend that you use Google Chrome™ and select only those accommodations for which you have been or may be approved for when taking the actual test.
If you need extended time and/or extra breaks as an accommodations, make your selection(s) and proceed with your test.
If you need screen magnification, selectable colors, screen reader or refreshable braille, make your selection(s) and provide your email address when prompted. On the next screen, you will be instructed to install the GRE Practice Test Software. A Practice Session Number and Passcode (needed to launch your test with your selected accommodation(s)) will also be provided along with additional instructions. The Practice Session Number and Passcode will also be sent to the email address provided.
Before launching a practice test and/or installing the GRE Practice Test software, be sure that your device meets the system requirements.
- See important information for screen magnification and selectable colors accommodations
- See important information for screen reader or refreshable braille accommodations
Already Have a POWERPREP Practice Test and Need to Download the GRE Practice Test Software?
If you already have a POWERPREP Online and/or POWERPREP PLUS Online practice test and selected screen magnification, selectable colors, screen reader or refreshable braille accommodations, you will also need to download the GRE Practice Test Software if you have not already done so. To install the practice test software and launch your practice test, have available the Practice Session Number and Passcode that was provided on screen and sent via email after you made your accommodation selection(s) when accessing your practice test for the first time.
Before launching your practice test and/or installing the GRE Practice Test software, be sure that your device meets the system requirements.
Selectable Colors and Screen Magnification (ZoomText®)
See important information for screen magnification and selectable colors accommodations before installing the Practice Test Software
Screen Reader and Refreshable Braille Compatibility
See important information for screen reader and refreshable braille accommodations before installing the Practice Test Software
Additional Information for Selectable Colors and Screen Magnification Accommodations
- The version of ZoomText installed with the GRE Practice Test Software will not work independently of the GRE POWERPREP practice tests.
- If you already have an existing version of ZoomText, it is not necessary to remove it from your computer before installing this version of ZoomText.
- If you normally use screen magnification software, it will not work with the GRE POWERPREP practice tests.
Note: If you are a Mac user who needs selectable colors or magnification accommodations, you will need to use your own screen color and/or magnification software when taking a practice test.
Additional Information for Screen Reader and Refreshable Braille Accommodations
- Braille supplements, which include tactile graphics, are available for use with your practice test. To get this material, contact Disability Services. Please include your Order Number and ETS ID when requesting materials for the POWERPREP PLUS Online practice test.
- Before starting your practice test, review the following:
- Instructions for POWERPREP Online Supplement Booklets — This document provides instructions for handling your supplemental materials and identifying the appropriate supplemental booklets as you navigate through your POWERPREP Online practice test(s).
- Instructions for POWERPREP PLUS Online Supplement Booklets — This document provides instructions for handling your supplemental materials and identifying the appropriate supplemental booklets as you navigate through your POWERPREP PLUS Online practice test(s).
- Help for JAWS® Screen Reader Users — Help screens are available in the practice tests and in the actual test to assist you in navigating the test. This document will familiarize you with the different elements you will encounter in the test and the JAWS keystrokes you can use to interact with them. Due to the secure testing environment, some advanced functions of JAWS may not be available during the actual test.
- Important Note on Screen Reader Performance in Review Mode: In some cases, spaces between words may be missing in the screen reader presentation of answer explanations. This will not occur in questions in the actual test or practice tests.
- Important Note About Custom Regions: The POWERPREP practice tests and the actual test use custom regions to provide a quick way for users to navigate through test content. In JAWS 2018, announcement of some regions, such as the custom regions used, are turned off by default. To force announcement of these regions, do the following:
- Open the Settings Center by pressing Insert+6 or select "Settings Center" from the "Utilities" menu.
- Ensure that the "Applications" dropdown box is set to "Default (All Applications)."
- At the search box, enter "configure web verbosity levels."
- The "Web Verbosity Level" dropdown box will be set to "Medium" by default. Select one of the following two options:
- Change the dropdown box selection to "High." OR
- Keep the setting at "Medium" and alter the configuration as follows:
- Select "Medium…" under "Configure Web Verbosity Levels."
- The "Medium Virtual Cursor Verbosity Preferences" dialog box will open and "Regions" in the tree structure will be partially checked.
- Navigate to the "Regions" check box and press the spacebar until all region options have been completely selected.
- Select the "OK" button or press Enter to close the dialog box.