Registration, Test Centers and Dates
The GRE® revised General Test is available at about 700 test centers in more than 160 countries. It is offered as a computer-based test year round at most locations around the world and as a paper-based test up to three times a year in areas where computer-based testing is not available.
Register for the Test
You can register for either the computer-based test or the paper-based test with a valid credit or debit card.
Note: Online registration is not available for test takers with disabilities or health-related needs requesting accommodations; test takers requesting fee reductions, standby testing or Monday testing; or for test takers in Nigeria.
Important Registration Information
Before You Register
- Check the test fees and read the reschedule and cancellation policies before registering for the test.
- If you have health-related needs that require you to bring equipment, beverages or snacks into the testing room or to take extra or extended breaks, you need to follow the accommodations request procedures described in the Bulletin Supplement for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs.
- When registering, the name you use to register — and the spelling of that name — must exactly match the name printed on the identification documents (excluding hyphens, accents and spaces) that you will present at the test center. See The Name You Use When Registering.
- If registering online, see information about creating a My GRE Account for the first time.
- Not all test centers are open on all dates.
- When scheduling your testing appointment, be sure to allow sufficient time for score reporting so you can meet the admissions deadlines for the schools to which you are applying.
- You are not allowed to transfer your registration to someone else.
Score Reports and Services Available with Registration
- As part of your test fee, you may request that scores be sent to up to four graduate programs, business programs or fellowship sponsors. Using the ScoreSelectSM option for each of your four free score reports, you can decide to send scores from your Most Recent test administration or from All the times you have taken the General Test in the last five years. If you are taking the computer-based test, you will designate your score recipients on test day. If you are taking the paper-based test, you will designate your score recipients when registering for the test. For more information, see Sending Your Scores.
- You will be given the option to register for the FREE GRE Search Service when you register for a GRE test. Or, you may sign up for the GRE Search Service at any time. For more information, see GRE Search Service.
- Individuals who register for the GRE revised General Test can send up to four FREE ETS® Personal Potential Index (ETS® PPI) Evaluation Reports to graduate institutions or fellowship sponsors. For more information, visit the ETS PPI website.
On Test Day
- You are responsible for bringing valid and acceptable identification when you report to a test center.
Retaking the GRE revised General Test
- You can take the GRE revised General Test (computer-based and paper-based) only once every 30 days, and no more than five times within any continuous rolling 12-month period. This applies even if you canceled your scores on a test taken previously. If you take only the paper-based GRE revised General Test, you can take it as often as it is offered.
- Note: The retaking a test policy will be enforced even if a violation is not immediately identified (e.g., inconsistent registration information). If the violation is identified after registration but before the test administration, the testing appointment will be canceled and test fees will be forfeited. If the violation is identified after test scores have been reported, the invalid scores will be canceled, score recipients will be notified of the cancellation and test fees will be forfeited.
- Payment and Refund Policies
- Register for a Subject Test
- Student fair schedule
- GRE Webinars — hosted in multiple languages and time zones!
Send institutions the scores that reflect your personal best.
Learn more >
The GRE® Success Starter video and 2nd edition of The Official Guide can help you do your best on the test! Shop now >