Register for the Paper-based GRE® revised General Test
Paper-based GRE® revised General Test administrations are offered up to three times a year in areas of the world where computer-based testing is not available. You can register for a paper-based administration online or by mail.
- You need to create or have a My GRE Account to register online. Note: The name you use when you create your My GRE Account will also be the name used when you register for a GRE test. Therefore, it must exactly match (excluding hyphens, accents and spaces) the name on the identification (ID) documents that you will present on the day of your GRE test. If it does not, you may be prohibited from taking the test or your test scores may be canceled after you take the test.
- Payment methods include: credit/debit card (American Express®, Discover®, JCB®, MasterCard® or VISA®), E-Check (drawn against U.S. bank accounts only) and .
Note that ETS reserves the right to add or delete payment options at its own discretion and without notice.
- Online registration is not available to examinees testing in Nigeria
- Online registration is not available for test takers with disabilities or health-related needs. Please see Disability Accommodations.
- Mail registration — Preferred payment method is by certified check or money order.
- Download and complete the Registration Form for the Paper-based GRE revised General Test and mail it with payment to the address printed on the form. The form must be received at ETS by the registration deadline. Allow four weeks for processing. Registration forms cannot be faxed.
Registration Code Lists
- Paper-based Test Center List
- Institutions and Fellowship Sponsors Approved to Receive GRE Scores
- Department and Major Field Codes
- Citizenship and Country or Region Codes and State and Territory Codes
After you register for a paper-based test, you will receive an admission ticket by mail from ETS. You must bring the admission ticket to the test center. Attached to your admission ticket is a correction stub. Use the correction stub to correct personal data, provide address changes, or to add, delete or change score recipients. The correction stub must be received at ETS by the Friday before the test date. Name changes cannot be submitted on the correction stub.
If your admission ticket does not arrive before the test date, or you lose it, you can view and print your admission from your My GRE Account.
- Which Test Format Is Offered in My Location?
- Test Centers and Dates
- Bulletin and Forms
- Register for a Subject Test
Register for the GRE revised General Test
Send institutions the scores that reflect your personal best.
Learn more >
The GRE® Success Starter video and 2nd edition of The Official Guide can help you do your best on the test! Shop now >