A test administrator is authorized to dismiss you from a test session and/or your scores may be withheld and ultimately canceled for any actions that violate the policies and procedures set forth herein and/or communicated at the test center including, but not limited to:
- Attempting to take the test for someone else or having someone else take the test for you.
- Failing to provide acceptable identification.
- Obtaining improper access to the test, a part of the test or information about the test. This includes having test questions or answers in advance of the test administration and bringing pre-knowledge of test information into the test center in any form including, but not limited to, identification documents, clothing, prohibited devices and any other method listed as an aid in connection to the test.
- Using or having any prohibited device in your possession in the testing room, including, without limitation:
- any phones
- all wearable technology
- all watches
- any other electronic, recording, listening, scanning or photographic devices
- pagers or beepers
- mechanical pencils, mechanical erasers, pens, highlighter pens, compasses, rulers, protractors
- books, pamphlets, notes, dictionaries, translators
- unauthorized scratch paper
- scan pens or scanning devices,
- Creating a disturbance (Disruptive behavior in any form will not be tolerated; the test administrator has sole discretion in determining what constitutes disruptive behavior.)
- Attempting to give or receive assistance — Communication in any form is not permitted during the test administration. Discussion or sharing of test content or answers during the test administration, including breaks, and after the test administration, is prohibited.
- Removing or attempting to remove test content from the test center. Under no circumstances may test content or any part of the test content be removed, reproduced, and/or disclosed by any means (e.g., hard copy, verbally, electronically) to any person or entity.
- Tampering with a computer during a computer-delivered test administration.
- Attempting to remove a page or portion of scratch paper from the computer-delivered testing room or using scratch paper before the test, during untimed sections of the test or during breaks.
- Bringing food, beverages, tobacco or e-cigarettes into the testing room.
- Bringing a weapon or firearm into the test center.
- Leaving the test center vicinity during the test session or during breaks.
- Leaving the testing room without permission. You are not permitted to go outside the test center building unless it is to use the restroom during the test administration, including during breaks.
- Taking excessive or extended unscheduled breaks during the test session. Test center administrators are required to strictly monitor unscheduled breaks and report test takers who take excessive or extended breaks.
- Referring to, looking through, or working on any test, or test section, when not authorized to do so, or working after time has been called.
- Failing to follow any of the test administration regulations contained on the GRE website, in the GRE® Information Bulletin, given by the test administrator or specified in any test materials.
ETS reserves the right to take all action — including, but not limited to, barring you from future testing and/or withholding or canceling your scores — for failure to comply with test administration regulations or the test administrator's directions. If your scores are canceled, they will not be reported and your registration and test fees will not be refunded. Reports of cheating will be investigated thoroughly and offenders may be prosecuted to the full extent of the applicable laws.
Register for the GRE General Test
The official practice tests from the maker of the test gives you the experience of taking the real, computer-delivered GRE General Test and more!
Approach test day with more confidence, knowing you can send the scores that show your personal best — only with the ScoreSelect® option.
Check out our FREE Official test prep and shop our Official Practice Question Guides and more.