GRE® Fee Reduction Program
At ETS we believe that the cost of taking a GRE® test should not be a barrier to graduate study. ETS provides the fee reduction program for individuals who demonstrate financial need and for national programs that work with underrepresented groups.
For Those with Financial Need
ETS offers a limited number of GRE Fee Reduction Certificates on a first-come, first-served basis that are available for college seniors and unenrolled college graduates who meet eligibility requirements. A Fee Reduction Certificate may be used for one GRE® revised General Test and/or one GRE Subject Test. Individuals meeting the eligibility requirements will be required to pay 50 percent of the full test fee.
To be eligible, you must be a U.S. citizen or resident alien who is a college senior or an unenrolled college graduate.
College seniors must be:
- receiving financial aid through an undergraduate college in the United States, American Samoa, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico, and
- a dependent, who has an Institutional Student Information Report (ISIR) that shows a parental contribution of not more than $1,400 for the senior year, or
- self-supporting and have an ISIR that shows a contribution of not more than $1,800 for the senior year
Unenrolled college graduates must:
- have applied for financial aid
- have an ISIR that indicates self-supporting status and a contribution of not more than $1,800
To apply for a GRE Fee Reduction Certificate:
- Contact your financial aid office to see if you qualify.
- Once your eligibility is established, the financial aid office will issue you a Fee Reduction Certificate and a copy of your ISIR. Follow the instructions on the certificate. Allow up to three weeks for processing and mail delivery.
Letter requests, photocopies and faxes of Fee Reduction Certificates will not be accepted. Fee Reduction Certificates are not retroactive and cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. There are no refunds for unused Fee Reduction Certificates and no refunds will be provided to examinees who are not admitted to the test for any reason (including unacceptable identification). Fee Reduction Certificates cannot be combined with other offers.
Individuals who meet the eligibility requirements can request additional Fee Reduction Certificates if they wish to retake the GRE revised General Test or a GRE Subject Test.
For National Programs
GRE Fee Reduction Certificates/Vouchers are also made available to the following programs:
- Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program (The McNair Scholars Program)
- Project 1000 Program
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program
- GEM: National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Science Program
- PREP: Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program
Ready to take a
GRE® Subject Test?
New ScoreSelectSM Option
Send institutions the scores that reflect your personal best.
Learn more >
Test Prep from ETS
Nobody knows our tests better than we do. We offer free practice tests and tips to help you prepare for your GRE Subject Test.
Learn more >