Payment and Refund Policies
- Fees are stated in U.S. dollars.
- Do not send cash
- A check in U.S. dollars must be drawn on a bank in the United States or Canada. Checks payable in another currency must be drawn on banks in the same country as the currency. By sending your check, you are authorizing ETS, at its discretion, to use the information on your check to make a one-time electronic debit from your account for the amount of your check; no additional amount will be added. If you do not have sufficient funds in your account, an additional service fee of US$20 will be debited electronically from your account. Contact ETS to learn about other payment options if you prefer not to have your check used in this way.
- If you do not have sufficient credit or funds in your account to cover a registration or service we have processed on your behalf, your scores will be withheld and an additional service fee of US$20 will be added to your account.
- If you do not include the correct fee, your request for registration or service will be returned.
- Taxes must be included where applicable.
- There are no refunds for additional services.
- Refunds will be made in U.S. dollars.
- Services may be withheld for nonpayment of fees.
- All test fee payments must be made in full, have the correct numeric and written dollar amount, and be received at ETS within 90 days of the date on the payment (e.g., check, money order).
- All outstanding balances incurred from prior ETS tests and/or services must be paid in full in order to register for any future ETS test or service.
- ETS reserves the right to add or remove online payment methods at its own discretion and without notice.
Requesting a Refund
If you cancel your registration by the deadline, you will receive a refund equivalent to half of the original test fee. The remainder of your payment will be retained to cover expenses for processing your registration and holding space at the test center. Refunds will be in U.S. dollars. Cash refunds are not available. Refunds will not be given if you do not follow proper registration procedures and/or if you fail to present the required identification documents at the test center. To cancel or change your test appointment, see cancel or change your registration.
Payments by Credit/Debit Card
- A refund will be processed automatically* and will be credited back to the original credit/debit card or bank account.
Payments by E-Check and PayPal
- A refund will be processed automatically* and will be credited back to the original PayPal or bank account.
Payments by Check
- Refunds are processed automatically.*
- If original payment was drawn on a U.S. domestic bank, allow eight weeks after your cancellation for your refund to be processed.
- If original payment was made in non-U.S. funds drawn on a bank outside the United States, allow 12 weeks for your refund to be processed.
* Refunds for paper-based tests are processed after the score reporting date.
Ready to take a
GRE® Subject Test?
New ScoreSelectSM Option
Send institutions the scores that reflect your personal best.
Learn more >
Test Prep from ETS
Nobody knows our tests better than we do. We offer free practice tests and tips to help you prepare for your GRE Subject Test.
Learn more >