On Test Day
Test Center Procedures and Regulations for Paper-based Tests
The following procedures and regulations apply during the entire test session, which begins when you are admitted to the test center, ends when you leave the test center and includes breaks.
- Dress so that you can adapt to any room temperature.
- Report to the test center at least 30 minutes prior to your scheduled testing time. If you arrive late, you may not be admitted and your test fee will be forfeited.
- Plan to be at the test center up to three and one-half hours.
- You must bring proper identification and your admission ticket to the test center. If your admission ticket does not arrive before the test date, or you lose it, you can view and print your admission ticket online. You will need to create or have a My GRE Account to use this service.
- Testing centers do not have large waiting rooms. Friends or relatives who accompany you to the test center will not be permitted to wait in the test center or be in contact with you while you are taking the test. Except for ETS-authorized observers, visitors are not allowed in the testing room while testing is in progress.
- ID verification at the test center may include thumb printing, photographing, videotaping or other form of electronic ID confirmation. This is in addition to the requirement that you must present acceptable and valid identification. If you refuse to participate, you will not be permitted to test and you will forfeit your test fee.
- If an institution that you have designated to receive your scores requests to see your photograph taken at the test center, ETS will send that photo or other information in ETS's files to that institution as necessary to detect or prevent unlawful activity and to protect the integrity of the GRE® test.
- Food, drinks and tobacco are not allowed in the testing room.
- If you have health-related needs requiring you to bring equipment, beverages or snacks into the testing room or to take extra or extended breaks, you need to request accommodations in advance. Procedures for requesting accommodations are described in the Bulletin Supplement for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs.
- Do not bring cell phones, smartphones (e.g., BlackBerry® or iPhone® devices), PDAs and other electronic or photographic devices into the test center. If you do, you will be dismissed from the test, your test fees will be forfeited and your scores will be canceled even if dismissal is not enforced on the day of the test. Test administrators are not permitted to collect and hold cell phones or other devices. If you are seen using any of these electronic devices and/or transmitting data, including but not limited to text messaging, email and photographs, your device may be inspected and/or confiscated. You may not access your phone during the test or during breaks to check messages or to check the time.
- Personal items other than identification documents are not allowed in the testing room. You will be required to follow the procedures set by the test center for storage of your personal belongings. You may also be asked to empty your pockets. Storage space is limited, so plan accordingly. You will not have access to your personal items during the test. Personal items such as hats, scarves, jackets and outerwear that are taken into the test room are subject to inspection by the test administrator. Failure to comply may result in dismissal from the test and/or cancellation of scores.
- Neither ETS nor the test centers assume any responsibility whatsoever for personal items or devices that you choose to bring into the test center.
- The test administrator will assign you a seat.
- On occasion, weather conditions or other circumstances beyond the test administrator's or ETS's control may require a delayed start or the rescheduling of your test appointment. In the event that it is then necessary to cancel your test session, or if it is later determined that your scores could not be reported, you will be offered the opportunity to schedule another test appointment free of charge or receive a full refund of the original test fee. You may also seek reimbursement from ETS for reasonable and documented expenses associated with traveling to the test center, even though technical problems are generally not the fault of ETS. To request reimbursement, contact GRE Services with the following information within 30 days of your original appointment: your name, date of birth, mailing address, daytime telephone number, email address, original test date and registration or CBT appointment number, and a brief description of what occurred at the test center. All reimbursements will be made in U.S. dollars.
- Test administrators will not honor requests for schedule changes.
- Take your admission ticket and photo ID to the test center.
- Take 3 or 4 sharpened No. 2 or HB pencils and a good eraser. Pencils and erasers will not be supplied at the center. Mechanical pencils and pens are not permitted.
- No test taker will be admitted after test materials have been distributed.
- With the exception of your admission ticket, paper of any kind is not permitted in the testing room.
- You must have the test administrator's permission to leave the room during the test. Any time lost cannot be made up. You are required to remain in the test center building or in the immediate area.
- You may wish to pace yourself with your own watch, but the test administrator is the official timekeeper. Watch alarms are not permitted to track time.
- You may work only for the time allowed. You will not be permitted to continue the test or any part of it beyond the established time limit.
- Answers to multiple-choice questions recorded in the test book will not be scored. You may use the test book to work out your answers, but you must mark all your answers on the separate answer sheet before time is called.
- At the conclusion of the test you will be required to return your test book and answer sheet to the test administrator. These materials are the property of ETS.
- At the end of the test, you will be given the option to cancel your scores.
Dismissal from a Test Center
A test administrator is authorized to dismiss you from a test session and/or your scores may be withheld and ultimately canceled for any actions that violate the policies and procedures set forth herein and/or communicated at the test center including, but not limited to:
- Attempting to take the test for someone else or having someone else take the test for you
- Failing to provide acceptable identification
- Obtaining improper access to the test, a part of the test, or information about the test
- Having any prohibited device in your possession in the test center (Cell phones, smartphones [e.g., BlackBerry or iPhone devices] PDAs and other electronic and photographic devices are not permitted in the test center. If you bring them into the test center, you will be dismissed from the test, your test fees will be forfeited and your scores will be canceled even if dismissal is not enforced on the day of the test. Test administrators are not permitted to collect and hold cell phones or any other devices.) If you are seen using any of these devices and/or transmitting data, including but not limited to text messaging, email and photographs, your device may be inspected and/or confiscated. You may not access your phone during the test or during breaks to check messages or to check the time.
- Using any aids in connection with the test, including, without limitation: mechanical pencils, mechanical erasers, pens, pagers, beepers, calculators, watch calculators, books, pamphlets, notes, unauthorized scratch paper, rulers, highlighter pens, stereos or radios with headphones, watch alarms (including those with flashing lights or alarm sounds), stopwatches, dictionaries, translators, compasses, protractors and any handheld electronic or photographic devices.
- Creating a disturbance — Disruptive behavior in any form will not be tolerated; the test administrator has sole discretion in determining what constitutes disruptive behavior.
- Attempting to give or receive assistance — Communication in any form is not permitted during the test administration. Discussion or sharing of test content or answers during the test administration, including breaks, and after the test administration is prohibited.
- Removing or attempting to remove test content from the test center — Under no circumstances may test content or any part of the test content be removed, reproduced, and/or disclosed by any means (hard copy, verbally, electronically) to any person or entity.
- Bringing a weapon or firearm into the test center
- Bringing food, drinks or tobacco into the testing room
- Leaving the test center vicinity during the test session or during breaks
- Leaving the testing room without permission. You are not permitted to go outside the test center building unless it is to use the restroom during the test administration, including during breaks.
- Taking excessive or extended unscheduled breaks during the test session (Test center administrators are required to strictly monitor unscheduled breaks and report test takers who take excessive or extended breaks.)
- Referring to, looking through, or working on the test when not authorized to do so, or working after time has been called
- Failing to follow any of the test administration regulations contained in the GRE Bulletin, given by the test administrator or specified in any test materials
ETS reserves the right to take all action — including, but not limited to, barring you from future testing and/or withholding or canceling your scores — for failure to comply with test administration regulations or the test administrator's directions. If your scores are canceled, they will not be reported and your fees will not be refunded.
Although tests are administered under strict supervision and security measures, testing irregularities may sometimes occur. Please contact ETS as soon as possible to report any observed behavior that may lead to an invalid score — for example, someone copying from another test taker, taking a test for someone else, having access to test questions before the exam, or using notes or unauthorized aids. All information will be held in strictest confidence.
- 1-800-353-8570 (United States only)
Ready to take a
GRE® Subject Test?
New ScoreSelectSM Option
Send institutions the scores that reflect your personal best.
Learn more >
Test Prep from ETS
Nobody knows our tests better than we do. We offer free practice tests and tips to help you prepare for your GRE Subject Test.
Learn more >