- Valid and acceptable identification. (See below for more information.)
- Your confirmation email — After your registration has been processed, you will receive a confirmation email from ETS that confirms your test choice, test date, test center and score recipients.
- Three or four sharpened No. 2 or HB pencils and a good eraser — pencils and erasers will not be supplied at the test center. Mechanical pencils and pens are not permitted.
Verifying Your ID
ID verification during check-in at the test center may include:
- Biometric voice and photo identification
- Signature comparison
If you refuse to participate, you will not be permitted to test and you will forfeit your test fees. This is in addition to the requirement that you must present acceptable and valid identification.
Bringing Valid Identification
You are responsible for bringing valid and acceptable identification each time you report to a test center. It is your responsibility to ensure that your ID documents are up to date and available on the day of the test.
Your ID requirements depend on your country of citizenship and where you plan to test. See ID Requirements. If you do not bring valid and acceptable ID, or if the first and last name on your ID does not exactly match the first and last name on your registration (excluding accents), you will not be permitted to test and your test fee will not be refunded.
- You are responsible for ensuring that the first and last name you used to register exactly matches (excluding accents) the name on the ID document(s) you will present at the test center.
- If the test administrator questions the ID you present, you may be required to provide supplemental ID. If positive confirmation cannot be made, you may not be permitted to test or your test score may be withheld.
- You are encouraged to bring at least two forms of acceptable ID each time you report to a test center. Prior admission to a test center based on a given ID document does not assure that that document will be considered acceptable. Test centers are not required to hold your seat if you leave the center to obtain acceptable identification.
- Admission to the test center does not assure that the ID you provided is valid or that your scores will be reported. All reported cases of questionable ID are subject to review and approval by the ETS Office of Testing Integrity either during or after the test administration. ETS reserves the right to withhold and/or cancel scores in the event that the ID requirements set forth herein are not met.
- You may be required to show your ID and/or to sign a test center log at various points throughout the test administration.
- Your test fees will not be refunded if you are not permitted to test or if your scores are withheld or canceled because of invalid or unacceptable ID.
Ready to take a GRE® Subject Test?
Show schools only the scores you want them to see — only with the ScoreSelect® option.
Nobody knows our tests better than we do. We offer free practice tests and tips to help you prepare for your GRE Subject Test. Check them out today.