A test administrator is authorized to dismiss you from a test session and/or your scores may be withheld and ultimately canceled for any actions that violate the policies and procedures set forth herein and/or communicated at the test center including, but not limited to:
- Attempting to take the test for someone else or having someone else take the test for you.
- Failing to provide acceptable identification.
- Obtaining improper access to the test, a part of the test, or information about the test. This includes having test questions or answers in advance of the test administration and bringing pre-knowledge of test information into the test center and any form including, but not limited to, identification documents, clothing, prohibited devices and any other method listed as an aid in connection to the test.
- Using or having any prohibited device in your possession in the testing room, including, without limitation:
- any phones
- all wearable technology
- all watches
- any other electronic, recording, listening, scanning or photographic devices
- pagers or beepers
- mechanical pencils, mechanical erasers, pens, highlighter pens, compasses, rulers, protractors
- books, pamphlets, notes, dictionaries, translators
- unauthorized scratch paper
- scan pens or scanning devices
- Creating a disturbance. Disruptive behavior in any form will not be tolerated; the test administrator has sole discretion in determining what constitutes disruptive behavior.
- Attempting to give or receive assistance. Communication in any form is not permitted during the test administration. Discussion or sharing of test content or answers during the test administration, including breaks, and after the test administration is prohibited.
- Removing or attempting to remove test content from the test center. Under no circumstances may test content or any part of the test content be removed, reproduced, and/or disclosed by any means (hard copy, verbally, electronically) to any person or entity.
- Bringing food, beverages, tobacco or e-cigarettes into the testing room.
- Bringing a weapon or firearm into the test center.
- Leaving the test center vicinity during the test session or during breaks.
- Leaving the testing room without permission. You are not permitted to go outside the test center building unless it is to use the restroom during the test administration, including breaks.
- Taking excessive or extended unscheduled breaks during the test session. Test center administrators are required to strictly monitor unscheduled breaks and report test takers who take excessive or extended breaks.
- Referring to, looking through, or working on the test when not authorized to do so, or working after time has been called.
- Failing to follow any of the test administration regulations contained on the GRE website or in the GRE® Information Bulletin, given by the test administrator or specified in any test materials.
ETS reserves the right to take all action — including, but not limited to, barring you from future testing and/or withholding or canceling your scores — for failure to comply with test administration regulations or the test administrator's directions. If your scores are canceled, they will not be reported and your registration and test fees will not be refunded. Reports of cheating will be investigated thoroughly and offenders may be prosecuted to the full extent of the applicable laws.
Ready to take a GRE® Subject Test?
Approach test day with more confidence, knowing you can send the scores that show your personal best — only with the ScoreSelect® option.
Nobody knows our tests better than we do. We offer free practice tests and tips to help you prepare for your GRE Subject Test. Check them out today.