Reports for the ETS® Major Field Tests are sent directly to the chairperson, dean or testing director of the academic program that purchased the tests. Reports for the online format are accessible via the Internet immediately after test administration. Reports for the paper-and-pencil format are available online within 10 business days after ETS receives the completed answer sheets. All reports, regardless of format, are available up to five years after a cohort is closed.1 Reports can be saved to Microsoft Excel or Microsoft Word files.
Sample Reports for Each Major Field Test
Select a major field of study below to find sample reports.
|Criminal Justice||Political Science|
|Literature in English||Sociology|
Business Degree Programs
Below are descriptions of the free downloadable Major Field Tests reports.
- Departmental Roster Report — includes total scores and subscores (if applicable) of all students tested, listed alphabetically by last name.
- Departmental Summary: Total Scores and Subscores2 — includes the frequency distributions of total scores and subscores, showing the percent of students scoring below each percentile. The departmental mean scale score and standard deviation are also shown. A Departmental Summary does not include scores of students who answered fewer than 50 percent of the test questions in one or both sections of a test.
- Departmental Summary: Assessment Indicators2 — provides a list of the mean (average) percent of test questions answered correctly in particular subdomains/content areas for the group as a whole.
- Departmental Demographic Summary Report — provides student demographic information taken directly from the answer sheets and summarized for the group as a whole.
- Individual Student Report2 — includes total score and subscores for each student tested, along with interpretive information.
Other Free Reports
- Additional Summary for Locally Authored Questions2 — provides an additional summary for locally authored questions showing the number and percent responding to each option choice for each question. Responses are not reported for individual students.
ETS offers special data reports through a subscription service. That means you can receive unlimited access to special reports and run as many as you need for the duration of the subscription period. At the click of a mouse, you’ll receive customizable data to help further evaluate your program and make it even better. Choose from subscriptions for unlimited access to a particular report or get more value with the premium package that includes access to all of the special reports. Find out more about subscription pricing options.
Note: Those who administered the paper-and-pencil form of the Major Field Tests, prior to January 1, 2012, will need to submit a manual request for the Item Information Report, the Subgroup Report and the Design Your Own Analysis service.
- Item Information Report:3
This report provides a question-by-question analysis of your students' performance on the test including a comparison to the larger reference group. It can be used for curriculum improvement, accreditation purposes, to evaluate teaching and learning, and to demonstrate students have mastered their major fields of study. A minimum of 20 students is required to generate this report.
- Design Your Own Analysis Service:
This service provides a data file that includes all demographic data collected as well as the total scaled score, subscore and assessment indicator data for each student. In addition it provides the responses to the optional 50 questions. This service can be used when programs want to compare performance on ETS tests to student characteristics or other direct or indirect measures.
- Custom Comparative Data Report:4
These reports can be used for comparing your program to a self-selected reference group of 10 or more other programs of your choosing from among the thousands of programs assessing their students with MFT. These can be used for internal and external benchmarking.
- Subgroup Report:2
These reports can be used for comparing smaller, pre-defined segments of your cohort. Users must define subgroups prior to test administration. The Subgroup Report can identify segments of your population which may require specific interventions.
With the subscription to any special report (or to the Premium Package that includes all of the special reports), duplicate reports of those in your subscription can be run on demand. An active subscription will allow you to run a special report as many times as you would like with reports available in real time.
View Pricing & Ordering information for details.
For historic reports for paper-and-pencil cohorts, please allow two to four weeks for processing. Only the Custom Comparative Data Report can be run directly online for all users.
Batching Test Takers for More Robust Scores
A carefully planned combination of cohorts and subgroups can result in highly robust reporting and add considerable value by providing you with much more meaningful data to enhance your program’s effectiveness.
Since the online test does not use physical answer sheets, the batches in which institutions administer exams — known as "cohorts" — will determine the level of detail in the reports. Institutions using the online test should assign the correct administration codes to the students they want in each cohort. Institutions using the paper-and-pencil exam control the cohort by batching answer sheets together for all students they consider to be part of a cohort.
In addition to cohorts, there are two subgroups. Each subgroup offers eight selectable options in which users may create their own subgroup questions.
Customers can request custom reports, including custom comparative data, at any point after they have closed their cohort. The forms for custom reports can be found on Pricing & Ordering.
For more information about how the Major Field Tests can help your program, call 1-800-745-0269 or contact an ETS Advisor. ETS Advisors are available Monday through Friday from 8–4:30 p.m. ET.
1 Paper-and-pencil reports prior to 1-1-12 must be requested manually as duplicate reports.
2 Extremely small groups cannot yield meaningful data. These reports require a minimum of five students.
3 If you would like to see a confidential review copy of the test to better identify what concepts you want to investigate further, please complete the Confidential Review Copy Request Form and fax it to ETS at 1-973-735-1903 or 1-973-735-1904. If you have any questions or need to request a copy of the form, please call an ETS Advisor at 1-800-745-0269. ETS Advisors are available Monday through Friday from 8–4:30 p.m. ET. Please allow 10 days to receive your copy.
4 The Custom Comparative Data Report is now available online.