Placing candidates "inside" the work of teaching
See how the ETS® NOTE™ program fits a new vision of teacher preparation and licensure.
An immersive simulation driven by real expertise
The NOTE program offers a new kind of performance assessment delivered in a test center using an interactive workstation. It is designed so that each candidate is placed "inside" a simulated classroom with classroom-teaching tools and given the opportunity to engage in multiple high-leverage practices (HLP) through several performances.
How it works
Through innovative use of technology, candidates are placed into a virtual teaching environment with simulated students. Developed in partnership with Mursion®, virtual classrooms provide a way to do the following within a single testing session:
- present different candidates with the same kinds of classroom teaching challenges
- present each candidate with multiple classrooms with different teaching challenges
The behavior and language of the simulated students is produced by testing specialists using standardized protocols. Being placed into realistic classroom situations allows candidates to demonstrate their ability to carry out the HLPs of teaching. Through innovative use of technology, we are able to offer candidates a virtual teaching environment with simulated students and tools that they can use to communicate with students.
Innovative communication tools
A touch screen device serves as a virtual smart board for communicating with students — and audio and video of performances are captured via webcam and microphone over a secure internet connection. In addition, the virtual smart board:
- provides teacher candidates with task preparation materials
- permits annotations, allowing the candidate to mark up text that can be referenced during the teacher candidate's performance
- allows for two-way interaction between the simulated students and the teacher candidate
- provides an opportunity to model content using virtual classroom manipulatives, such as base ten blocks
Watch a teacher candidate modeling and explaining content using manipulatives via the use of the virtual smart board.