- Testing Within Your Country of Citizenship
- Testing Outside Your Country of Citizenship
- Testing in Mainland China
- Testing in Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Nigeria
- Testing in European Union/Schengen Zone Countries
All test takers must read the identification (ID) information and requirements on this page. This information applies to both internet- and paper-delivered tests.
- You must have acceptable and valid ID with name, signature and photograph to be admitted to a test center. Your complete name and signature as shown on your ID must match the name you registered under, even if your name has changed (for any reason, including marriage or divorce). If your name has changed since you registered for a test, you must ensure that you have appropriate ID matching the name on your registration to show at the test center. It is recommended that you have ID in the correct name BEFORE you complete the registration process.
- All documents must be original and not expired. There is one exception regarding expired documentation. If your driver's license has expired but you have your renewal certificate, these two documents together are acceptable as long as the name on the driver’s license and the name on the renewal certificate are the same. If you have renewed your license and you are issued a temporary permit, this can be presented with an acceptable supplemental ID.
- Photo IDs must be original, recognizable and not expired. (Exception to expired driver's license with renewal certificate, see above.)
- Without required identification, the test center staff will not admit you, you will not be permitted to test, and will forfeit your test fees.
- No copies will be accepted.
- When registering, use your name exactly as it appears on your primary ID that you present at the test center. If the name shown on your primary ID does not match your registration record, you will not be permitted to test and will forfeit your test fees.
- Provide your entire first name (given name) and entire last name (family name). Enter names exactly as they appear on your ID. If your identification contains two last names, you must enter the names exactly as they appear on your identification.
- Misspellings can be corrected at check-in; name changes will not be made.
- If your name has changed for any reason, including marriage, you must present primary ID in the name under which you registered for the test. Marriage certificates and divorce decrees will not be accepted to confirm name differences.
- If the first name on your primary ID contains only a first initial, a supplemental ID will be required.
- If your ID does not contain your signature, you must sign it or present a supplemental ID.
- If the test center personnel questions the ID, you will be required to present additional proof of identity. If positive confirmation cannot be made, you may be refused admission to the test center and you will forfeit your test fees. You will have to submit a new registration and pay a new test fee in order to test (at a later date).
- Test center personnel will check your photo identification before seat assignment and before and after testing breaks.
- Test centers are not required to reserve your seat if you leave the center to obtain ID.
- Cases of questionable identification are subject to review and approval by the ETS Office of Testing Integrity.
Only one form of primary ID is needed containing your name, photograph and a signature.
Acceptable primary ID documents include:
- passport with name, photograph and signature
- valid government-issued driver's license with name, photograph and signature
- state or province ID issued by a motor vehicle agency with name, photograph and signature
- national ID with name, photograph and signature
- military ID with name, photograph and signature
Supplemental ID may be required if the test center administrator has concerns about the primary ID. If your primary ID does not contain your signature, sign the document or present an acceptable supplemental ID document.
See "Acceptable Supplemental Identification Documents" below.
- You must present a valid passport as your primary ID document. If you do not meet this requirement, you may not be admitted to test.
- If your passport is not written in English, you must present an English-language supplemental ID with a clear, recent photo.
- If your passport does not contain your signature, either sign your passport or present a supplemental ID.
- U.S. military personnel may present their U.S. military ID cards for admission to test centers. If a military ID does not contain a signature, a supplemental ID is required.
- Diplomatic and embassy ID cards will not be accepted as primary ID in place of a passport.
The following documents are acceptable for admission outside your country of citizenship if combined with a supplemental ID:
- Permanent Resident Card/Resident Alien Card
- Temporary Resident Card
- Employment Authorization Card
- Mexican Border Crosser Card (accepted at test centers within 25 miles of the Mexican border)
- Citizens of Mainland China, Hong Kong and Macau must present a valid National Resident ID Card as their primary ID document. There are no exceptions to this policy. The Second Generation National Resident ID Card is preferred.
- Citizens of Taiwan must present their Travel Permit to Mainland China.
- Citizens from all other countries and locations must present a valid passport.
- You must present a valid passport with name, photograph and signature as your primary ID document.
- No exceptions will be made.
- If testing in a European Union or Schengen Zone country outside of your country of residence, you may use a valid national or European identity card with recent, clear photo, date of birth and signature.
- ID document must be in the English language and legible to test administrators.
If your primary ID is missing your photo or signature, or is otherwise questionable or unacceptable, you must present a current supplemental ID in addition to your primary ID. The supplemental ID must contain your name, a clear, recent photo and your signature. Supplemental ID documents may not be used to resolve last name discrepancies. The last name on your primary ID must match the name on your admission ticket.
Acceptable supplemental ID documents include:
- any expired ID (Exception: an expired driver's license will be accepted WITH the renewal certificate, provided the name on both documents is the same.)
- any document that does not bear your last name exactly as it appears on your admission ticket
- international driver's license
- draft classification card
- international student ID
- credit/debit card of any kind
- notary-prepared letter or document
- Social Security card
- employee ID card
- birth certificate
- learner's permit or any temporary identification document
- photocopied document
It is your responsibility to ensure that your ID documents are up-to-date and available on the day of the test.
If you have been granted political asylum, have refugee status or are otherwise unable to meet the identification requirements, you must contact the ETS Office of Testing Integrity (OTI) at least seven days before registering to test. You must receive approval from OTI before you may register. You should also be prepared to submit any requested documents to OTI for review prior to receiving approval. If you do not contact OTI before you register, and as a result you are not permitted to test or your test scores are withheld, your test fees will not be refunded.
ETS Office of Testing Integrity (OTI)