Overview of Alabama Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For certification in Alabama, all candidates must:
- meet degree and certification requirements for their certification area
- pass the Praxis II® tests required in the Alabama Prospective Teacher Testing Program for their certification area
- submit the appropriate certification form and fees
- pass the basic skills assessments required in the Alabama Prospective Teacher Testing Program (APTTP)
- Alabama requires your Social Security number (SSN) to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Alabama with your test results. Submitting your registration without your SSN will delay processing of your Alabama certification application.
- If you test in Alabama, your score report will be sent automatically to the Alabama State Department of Education. If you test outside of Alabama, select the Alabama State Department of Education (state code 7020) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Alabama requires official score reports directly from ETS. Through a paperless method called Scorelink®, ETS sends electronic score reports that allow Alabama to receive scores quickly and import them into a computerized certification system.
- The state of Alabama will accept scores achieved on discontinued tests for a period of time after transition to the new test. Please visit the Chart of Discontinued Tests and Scores for a list of which tests may still be accepted. Alabama requires official score reports directly from ETS. Please refer to the policy for acceptance of discontinued tests for more information.
- Beginning with the 2012–13 testing year, ETS is administering new versions of two test titles (listed below). The new tests cover the same content as the previous tests. However, scores are reported on a different scale, so requirements will vary from previous versions. All scores for discontinued tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. Consult the Test Requirements table for specific score requirements.
- Latin — New Test Code: 0601
- Theatre — New Test Code: 0641
- ETS is offering several tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced throughout the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. The computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale, however, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes.
- Art: Content Knowledge (5134) — February 2013
- Biology: Content Knowledge (5235) — September 2012
- Business Education: Content Knowledge (5101) — December 2012
- Chemistry: Content Knowledge (5245) — September 2012
- Earth and Space Sciences: Content Knowledge (5571) — October 2012
- Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision (5411) — December 2012
- Family and Consumer Sciences (5121) — December 2012
- General Science: Content Knowledge (5435) — September 2012
- Library Media Specialist (5311) — February 2013
- Music: Content Knowledge (5113)* — February 2013
- Physics: Content Knowledge (5265) — September 2012
- Professional School Counselor (5421) — February 2013
- Reading Specialist (5301)* — September 2012
- World and United States History: Content Knowledge (5941) — December 2012
* This test is not available in a paper-delivered format except as required for ADA accommodations.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Anyone applying for initial Alabama professional educator certificates or alternative and preliminary certificates must pass the appropriate Praxis II tests for each area of certification they seek. In addition, applicants must meet testing requirements pertaining to basic skills assessments.
Visit the Alabama Department of Education for expanded information about the Alabama Prospective Teacher Testing Program (APTTP).
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities