How to Qualify for Certification
Individuals seeking California certification must meet the academic and/or experience requirements for their specific certification area. Prospective California educators are encouraged to visit the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) website for complete details on requirements, examinations and approved educator preparation programs.
- If you test in California, your score report will be sent automatically to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing. If you test outside of California, select the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (state code 8541) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Even though Educational Testing Service (ETS) does not require a candidate's Social Security number (SSN), the California CTC currently matches test results sent to them by ETS based on the candidate's full SSN. Credential applicants who list the California CTC as a score recipient and do not give their full SSN, may experience a delay in having their credential application processed or be required to submit their score results with their credential application.
- Other than the basic skills examination and select bilingual examinations, passing exam scores must be used towards California certification within five years of the passing date.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Information on the examinations required for the type of certification you are seeking can be found in the Examinations section of the California CTC website.
- About the Praxis® Tests
- The Praxis Series® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs