District of Columbia Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is required to take the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests?
All individuals seeking an educator license in the District of Columbia are required to submit qualifying scores for all of the Praxis® Core exams, with the exception of Technical and Industrial Occupations and Military Science and Tactics license seekers.
- Who is required to take the Praxis® Subject Assessments (formerly the Praxis II® tests)?
All individuals seeking an educator license in the District of Columbia in a subject area where Praxis exams are listed for testing on the jurisdiction's state page must submit qualifying scores for all exams listed under that subject title.
- Under which conditions may D.C. test requirements be waived?
Individuals who meet all of the following conditions may qualify for a D.C. test exemption waiver:
- completion of a state-approved educator preparation program at an institution or organization located outside of the District of Columbia in the subject area matching the license being sought
- possession of a valid and current out-of-state Level II license (full credential without deficiencies) in the subject area matching the license being sought
- completion of a minimum of three years of full-time PreK–12 teaching experience in the licensure subject area. The experience cannot include substitute teaching.
- How should my test scores be submitted to the District of Columbia?
All license seekers must submit original test-taker score report(s) attached to their D.C. license application packet at the time licensure is being sought. The process to send individual test results electronically or through regular mail to this jurisdiction has not been finalized at this time. Failure to submit your score results as part of your license application packet may cause your license eligibility status to be denied.
- Who do I contact for more information regarding D.C. licensure/certification?
The District of Columbia licensure/certification department information can be obtained by visiting the Office of Educator Licensure and Accreditation.
Ready to take a
Praxis Test Preparation
Prepare for your test with interactive practice tests. Get yours today.
See test centers, dates and deadlines for Praxis tests.
Prepare for the Elementary Education: Instructional Practice and Applications (5015) test with a free 60-minute webinar.