How to Qualify for Licensure
For initial licensure in Delaware, all candidates must:
For further requirements, refer to the Delaware Administrative Code, Issuance of Initial License.
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Delaware, all candidates must:
For further requirements, refer to the Delaware Administrative Code, Standard Certificate regulations.
For further information about Delaware educator licensing, visit the Delaware Educator Data System website.
- ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing; however, Praxis tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
- The Delaware Department of Education does not require a Social Security Number (SSN) to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to the Delaware Department of Education with your test results. However, failure to provide your SSN could delay processing of your certification application.
- If you test in Delaware, your score report will be automatically sent to the Delaware Department of Education. If you test outside of Delaware, select the Delaware Department of Education (state code 7065) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
Who Must Take the Tests?
- Most professional educators seeking initial licensure in Delaware must take the Praxis Core test(s).
- Candidates who hold full and current out-of-state licensure/certification (see reciprocity) are exempt from Delaware's Praxis Core testing requirements.
- Other candidates may satisfy the Praxis Core requirement by meeting the established qualifying score(s) on examinations deemed to be viable exemption options, provided that exemption option testing was completed prior to the candidate's employment date.
- In Delaware, you must also pass the appropriate Praxis Subject Assessments for each area of certification you seek, if the test is applicable and available.
- For more information about initial licensure or certification, visit the DEEDS website.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs