To be eligible for educator licensure with the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA), an applicant must:
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Hold at least a bachelor's degree by date of availability OR be a Junior Reserve Officer Training Corp (JROTC) instructor, vocational instructor or nurse
- Complete student teaching or an internship as part of an approved teacher education program at an accredited U.S. institution of at least one year in a preK–12 setting by availability date, unless exempt¹
- Have completed 30 semester hours for secondary teaching positions
- Submit proof of achieving DoDEA minimum scores for the required Praxis® test(s) unless exempt²
¹ Communications impaired teachers, school nurses, guidance counselors, school psychologists, JROTC instructors and non-certified training instructors are excluded from the student teaching requirement.
² See exemptions to the testing requirement below under "Who Must Take the Tests?"
The Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS) accepts state educator professional certificates issued from the state departments of education in the United States and its territories. Completion of an accredited teacher preparation program may be accepted when an individual's transcript has been reviewed and approved by the DoDEA Associate Director for Education, as well as upon satisfaction of assessment testing. A DoDDS certificate will be issued to reflect state endorsement and/or teacher preparation areas comparable to DoDDS educator categories.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Applicants must submit proof of achieving DoDEA minimum scores for the required Praxis test(s), unless exempt. Exemptions to the testing requirement include:
- applicants who are fully certified by a U.S. state department of education
- applicants who have completed seven (7) years or more of full-time professional teaching experience
- JROTC instructors
- applicants for positions of Guidance Counselor, School Psychologist, Speech-Language Pathologist and Vocational Training Instructor are only required to take the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests.
- school nurses are exempt from the Praxis tests, with the exception of those nurses who also have teaching endorsements
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs