Overview of Guam Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
To qualify for initial educator certification in Guam, all candidates must:
- Earn a degree from an approved educator preparation program from a recognized foreign institution of higher learning recognized by the U.S. Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or its successors.
- Be non-education preparation program graduates who can present evidence of successfully completing the following requirements: A) earn a degree from an accredited college or university; B) complete an approved program (in content area) from an accredited college or university; and C) complete an educational program aligned with Guam Professional Teacher Standards.
- Earn a Grade Point Average of 2.70 or higher.
- Successfully pass all three Praxis I® tests, one of the Praxis II® Principles of Learning and Teaching tests and the appropriate content test(s). Please see the test requirements page for more details on these tests.
Refer to the Guam Commission for Educator Certification website for individual educator certification requirements.
ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced during the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. The computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale; however, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes.
- Art: Content Knowledge (5134) — February 2013
- Business Education: Content Knowledge (5101) — December 2012
- General Science: Content Knowledge (5435) — September 2012
- Music: Content Knowledge (5113)* — February 2013
- Professional School Counselor (5421) — February 2013
- Reading Specialist (5301)* — September 2012
* This test is not available in a paper-delivered format except as required for ADA accommodations.
Who Must Take the Tests?
All individuals applying for Guam Professional Educator Certification shall successfully pass the Praxis I (PPST) to demonstrate educator qualification.
In Guam, the appropriate Praxis II tests for each area of certification you seek are available in lieu of a degree in the content areas listed.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities