How to Qualify for Licensure
To qualify for an initial educator license in Iowa, candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Complete an approved educator preparation program.
- Complete an approved human relations component.
- Complete a component focused on exceptional learners.
- Fulfill requirements for a teaching endorsement.
- Meet recency requirement listed under the Class A License.
See Requirements for Licenses, including a standard license, master educator license and Class A license.
Access the Iowa Board of Educational Examiners for comprehensive information on license application procedures and forms.
ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing; however, Praxis® tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
Who Must Take the Tests?
As one requirement for completion of an Iowa state-approved educator preparation program, every new teacher candidate must attain the state-determined qualifying score on a content test and a pedagogy test. The PPAT® Assessment or the appropriate Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) assessment can fulfil the pedagogy requirement. For specific program requirements, see your college or university program advisor.
When and Where to Take the Test
Candidates should follow the recommendations of their respective educator preparation programs. Test centers and dates are available on this website.
Cost of the Test
Visit the fees page for information on the cost of each test.
Where to Send Test Scores
Request that your score be sent to the institution where you are completing your educator preparation program. Your score must be received by your college/university program for program completion.
Teaching Outside of Iowa
Be sure to consult other state requirements if you plan to teach outside of the state of Iowa.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs