How to Qualify for Licensure
For initial licensure in Kansas, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree
- Complete an approved educator preparation program
- Pass the Praxis® tests for their licensure area
- Submit the appropriate licensure form and fees
For information on licensure via an alternate route, visit the Kansas Department of Education alternate route page.
- ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing; however, Praxis tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
- Kansas requires your name, address, date of birth and Social Security number (SSN) to process educator licensure paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit your information to the Kansas Department of Education with your test results. Failure to provide the information requested above may delay processing of your licensure application.
- If you test in Kansas, your score report will be sent automatically to the Kansas Department of Education. If you test outside of Kansas, select the Kansas Department of Education (code 7270) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request. You may select up to three recipients at no charge during registration or purchase additional reporting after you test.
- Persons enrolled in Kansas educator preparation programs must also designate their college or university as a score recipient.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Teacher candidates or those wishing to become licensed must take the Praxis tests.
Prior to entering an educator preparation program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate your qualifications.
In Kansas, you must also take the appropriate Praxis® Subject Assessments for each area of licensure you seek.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs