How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Kentucky, all candidates must:
- Complete an approved educator preparation program
- Pass the Praxis® tests for their certification area
- Complete the Kentucky Teacher Internship Program
- Submit the appropriate certification form and fees
- Find additional options for their Kentucky educator certification
- Assessments for the Kentucky Principal Certification
- Please note: Not all tests are offered on each administration date. Please plan ahead by checking Test Centers and Dates.
- ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing; however, Praxis tests will continue to be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
- Kentucky requires your name, address, date of birth and Social Security number (SSN) to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but if provided will submit your information to the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (KYEPSB) with your test results. Failure to provide the information requested above could delay processing of your certification application.
- If you test in Kentucky, your score report will be sent automatically to the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board. If you test outside of Kentucky, select the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board (code 7283) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request. You may select up to four recipients at no charge during registration or purchase additional reporting after you test. Refer to Sending Your Praxis Scores for instructions and fees.
- Speech-Language Pathology Assistants (SLPAs) are not required to take the Special Education: Core Knowledge and Applications (5354) or Speech-Language Pathology (5331) assessments for Kentucky educator certification. Please contact the Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board for additional information on SLPA educator certification requirements.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Most educator candidates or those wishing to become certified in Kentucky must take the Praxis tests. If you are an Industrial Education candidate, see the examination prerequisites for occupation-based career and technical education educators or contact KYEPSB.
Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) Requirements
Prior to entering an educator preparation program at your college or university, you are required to take the Praxis® Core tests to demonstrate your qualifications. See the Test Requirements page to view passing score requirements.
Praxis® Subject Assessments
Traditional Certification Route
Individuals who have completed a traditional educator preparation program must successfully complete the required Praxis® Subject Assessments as part of the educator certification process.
Alternative Certification Routes
Visit the Kentucky Educational Professional Standards Board for alternative route assessment requirements.
Note: A passing score on a test, as required at the time you take the test, shall be valid for the purpose of applying for certification for five (5) years from the test administration date.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs