Overview of Maryland Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Maryland, all candidates must:
- Earn a bachelor's or higher degree.
- Complete an approved program of teacher education OR complete the coursework and experience requirements outlined in the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR).
- Pass The Praxis Series™ tests for their certification area or other national, state-approved tests. See the Maryland State Department of Education for complete testing information.
- If you test in Maryland, your score report will be sent automatically to the Maryland State Department of Education. If you test outside of Maryland, select the Maryland State Department of Education (state code 7403) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Maryland requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork and to get a match to your score report. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Maryland with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN could delay processing of your certification application.
- Beginning with the 2013–14 testing year, ETS is administering a new version of the Health Education test. This new test will be offered in a computer-delivered format and the new test code will be 5551. The new test covers the same content as the previous tests. However, scores are reported on a different scale, so requirements will vary from previous versions. All scores for discontinued tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. Consult the Test Requirements table for specific score requirements.
ETS is offering three additional tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced throughout the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. For tests available in both formats (paper and computer), the computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale; however, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes.
- English to Speakers of Other Languages (5361) — February 2014*
- Music: Content and Instruction (5114) — February 2014*
- Technology Education (5051) — July 2014
*Beginning February 2014, this test will not be available in a paper-delivered format except as required for ADA accommodations.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take The Praxis Series tests.
Prior to entering a teacher education program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis I® tests to demonstrate your qualifications.
In Maryland, you must take the appropriate Praxis II® tests for each area of certification you seek.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs
Ready to take a
See test centers, dates and deadlines for Praxis computer-delivered and paper-delivered tests.
Prepare for the Elementary Education: Instructional Practice and Applications (5015) test with a free 60-minute webinar.