Overview of Maryland Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Maryland, all candidates must:
- Earn a bachelor's or higher degree.
- Complete an approved program of teacher education OR complete the coursework and experience requirements outlined in the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR).
- Pass The Praxis Series™ tests for their certification area or other national, state-approved tests. See the Maryland State Department of Education for complete testing information.
- Maryland requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork and to get a match to your score report. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Maryland with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN could delay processing of your certification application.
- Beginning with the 2012–13 testing year, ETS is administering new versions of two test titles (listed below). The new tests cover the same content as the previous tests. However, scores are reported on a different scale, so requirements will vary from previous versions. All scores for discontinued tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. Consult the Test Requirements table for specific score requirements.
- Latin — New Test Code: 0601
- Theatre — New Test Code: 0641
ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced throughout the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. For tests available in both formats (paper and computer), the computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale; however, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes.
- Biology: Content Knowledge (5235) — September 2012
- Business Education: Content Knowledge (5101) — December 2012
- Chemistry: Content Knowledge (5245) — September 2012
- Earth and Space Sciences: Content Knowledge (5571) — October 2012
- Family and Consumer Sciences (5121) — December 2012
- Physical Education: Content and Design (5095) — September 2012
- Physics: Content Knowledge (5265) — September 2012
Who Must Take the Tests?
Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take The Praxis Series tests.
Prior to entering a teacher education program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis I® tests to demonstrate your qualifications.
In Maryland, you must take the appropriate Praxis II® tests for each area of certification you seek.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities