How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Maryland, all candidates must:
- Earn a bachelor's or higher degree.
- Complete an approved educator preparation program OR complete the coursework and experience requirements outlined in the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR).
- Pass the Praxis® tests for their certification area or other national, state-approved tests. See the Maryland State Department of Education for complete testing information.
- If you test in Maryland, your score report will be sent automatically to the Maryland State Department of Education. If you test outside of Maryland, select the Maryland State Department of Education (state code 7403) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Maryland requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork and to get a match to your score report. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Maryland with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN could delay processing of your certification application. The Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) requires applicants to provide a copy of their score report with their application. ETS recommends test takers download and save a copy of their score report to submit with their application and for future reference.
- ETS discontinued paper-delivered testing; however, tests will be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take the Praxis tests.
Prior to entering an educator preparation program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate your qualifications.
In Maryland, you must take the appropriate Praxis® Subject Assessments for each area of certification you seek.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis® Tests Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs