Overview of Maine Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Maine, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree
- Pass The Praxis Series™ test for certification area(s)
- Submit the appropriate certification application and fees
- Maine requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Maine with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN may delay processing of your certification application.
- Beginning with the 2012–13 testing year, ETS is administering new versions of two test titles (listed below). The new tests cover the same content as the previous tests. However, scores are reported on a different scale, so requirements will vary from previous versions. All scores for discontinued tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. Consult the Test Requirements table for specific score requirements.
- Latin — New Test Code: 0601
- Theatre — New Test Code: 0641
ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced throughout the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. For tests available in both formats (paper and computer), the computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale; however, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes.
- Art: Content Knowledge (5134) — February 2013
- Biology: Content Knowledge (5235) — September 2012
- Business Education: Content Knowledge (5101) — December 2012
- Family and Consumer Sciences (5121) — December 2012
- Library Media Specialist (5311) — February 2013
- Music: Content Knowledge (5113)* — February 2013
- Professional School Counselor (5421) — February 2013
- Reading Specialist (5301)* — September 2012
- School Superintendent Assessment (6021)* — December 2012
* This test is not available in a paper-delivered format except as required for ADA accommodations.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take The Praxis Series tests.
Prior to entering an educator education program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis I® tests to demonstrate your qualifications.
In Maine, you must also take the appropriate Praxis II® tests for each area of certification you seek.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities