Overview of Ohio Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Licensure
For information on how to qualify for initial licensure in Ohio, visit the Ohio Department of Education website and enter "Initial Licensure" in the search box.
- ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format which will be introduced throughout the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. The computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale, however, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes
- Art: Content Knowledge (5134) — February 2013
- Biology: Content Knowledge (5235) — September 2012
- Business Education: Content Knowledge (5101) — December 2012
- Chemistry: Content Knowledge (5245) — September 2012
- Earth and Space Sciences: Content Knowledge (5571) — October 2012
- Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision (5411) — December 2012
- Family and Consumer Sciences (5121) — December 2012
- Library Media Specialist (5311) — February 2013
- Music: Content Knowledge (5113)* — February 2013
- Physics: Content Knowledge (5265) — September 2012
- Speech-Language Pathology (5330) — December 2012
* This test is not available in a paper-delivered format except as required for ADA accommodations.
Who Must Take the Educator Licensure Tests?
Teacher candidates or other professional educators wishing to become licensed must take The Praxis Series™ tests.
Applicants for educator licensure who meet any of the following criteria are required to successfully complete applicable portions of the Praxis II® test(s):
|Began college coursework AFTER July 1, 1987|
|Began coursework PRIOR to July 1, 1987, but did not complete licensure requirements until AFTER July 1, 1991|
|Adding an area (e.g., endorsement) to an existing license or seeking a new or additional license|
The Ohio Department of Education (ODE) requires only ONE PLT test be taken in an educator’s career. However, new content or licensure areas require additional Praxis II Subject Assessment testing to establish minimum competency in that subject area. Any applicant interested in specific test requirements of an educator preparation program MUST contact the school, college or department of education of an approved institution.
If you are licensed in another state and are interested in obtaining a license in Ohio, contact:
- The Ohio Department of Education
Center for the Teaching Profession
Office of Educator Licensure
25 S. Front Street, MS 105
Columbus, OH 43215-4183
Praxis II tests — In Ohio, you must take a Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) test for your chosen grade level, as well as the appropriate Praxis II tests for each additional licensure area you wish to pursue.
Alternative Educator License
The two-year, non-renewable Alternative Educator license was created in January 2000 in response to current and expected teacher shortages in grades 7 through 12 and in special education for grades Kindergarten through 12. The Alternative Educator license is a non-traditional route for qualified baccalaureate degree holders to transition to careers as classroom teachers.
For more information, see requirements for the alternative educator license.
If you test in Ohio your score will automatically be sent to the ODE. If you test outside of Ohio, select the ODE (code R7945) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
Visit the ODE website:
- For additional information about Praxis II tests, enter "Educator Licensure Examinations" in the search box.
- For more information about Alternative Educator License, enter "Alternative Educator License" in the search box.
- To apply for an Ohio Licensure, enter "Educator Licensure Applications" in the search box.
- For information about the out-of-state application process, enter "Out of State Applicants" in the search box.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities