Overview of Ohio Testing Requirements
Beginning September 1, 2013, a new test series (Ohio Assessments for Educators), will replace many of the Praxis II® tests as the required Ohio educator licensure tests. If you are a new candidate for teacher certification, please visit the Ohio Department of Education website for further information.
How to Qualify for Licensure
For information on how to qualify for initial licensure in Ohio, visit the Ohio Department of Education website and enter "Initial Licensure" in the search box.
- If you take a Praxis™ test in Ohio your score will automatically be sent to the Ohio Department of Education (ODE). If you test outside of Ohio, select the ODE (code 7945) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- ETS is offering the Audiology test in a computer-delivered format which will be introduced in December 2013. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. The computer-delivered version covers the same content as the paper-delivered version and is scored on the same scale, however, the computer-delivered test has a different test code.
Who Must Take the Educator Licensure Tests?
Beginning September 1, 2013, teacher candidates or other professional educators wishing to become licensed must take either the Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) tests, The Praxis Series™ tests or a combination of OAE and Praxis II tests. Please visit the Ohio Department of Education website to determine which test(s), whether an OAE, a Praxis test or a combination of both, is required for your licensure area.
If you are licensed in another state and are interested in obtaining a license in Ohio, contact:
- The Ohio Department of Education
Center for the Teaching Profession
Office of Educator Licensure
25 S. Front Street, MS 105
Columbus, OH 43215-4183
Third Grade Reading Guarantee
Ohio teachers of third-grade students who are on a reading improvement and monitoring plan or retained students now require special qualifications under the Third Grade Reading Guarantee. One way to fulfill the requirement is to pass the Praxis Teaching Reading: Elementary Education test. See the Ohio Third Grade Reading Guarantee for more information.
Visit the ODE website:
- For additional information about licensure tests, enter "Educator Licensure Examinations" in the search box.
- For more information about Alternative Educator License, enter "Alternative Resident Educator License" in the search box.
- To apply for an Ohio Licensure, enter "Educator Licensure Applications" in the search box.
- For information about the out-of-state application process, enter "Out of State Applicants" in the search box.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs