Overview of Pennsylvania Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Pennsylvania, all candidates must:
- Earn a Baccalaureate degree (except for vocational instructional areas)
- Complete an approved program of teacher education
- Pass The Praxis Series™ tests for their certification area
- Submit the appropriate certification form and fees
For certification outside Pennsylvania, visit the Pennsylvania Department of Education website.
- Approved Certification Programs
- Education Leadership Programs (Administrative, Supervisory, Superintendent, etc.)
- If you test in Pennsylvania, your score report will be sent automatically to the Pennsylvania Department of Education. If you test outside of Pennsylvania, select the Pennsylvania Department of Education as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Beginning with the 2012–13 testing year, ETS is administering a new version of the Latin test. The test will have a new test code: 0601. The new test covers the same content as the previous test. However, scores are reported on a different scale, so requirements will vary from previous versions. All scores for discontinued tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. Consult the Test Requirements table for specific score requirements.
ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced throughout the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. For tests available in both formats (paper and computer), the computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale; however, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes.
- Art: Content Knowledge (5134) — February 2013
- Biology: Content Knowledge (5235) — September 2012
- Business Education: Content Knowledge (5101) — December 2012
- Chemistry: Content Knowledge (5245) — September 2012
- Earth and Space Sciences: Content Knowledge (5571) — October 2012
- Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision (5411) — December 2012
- Family and Consumer Sciences (5121) — December 2012
- General Science: Content Knowledge (5435) — September 2012
- Library Media Specialist (5311) — February 2013
- Music: Content Knowledge (5113)* — February 2013
- Physics: Content Knowledge (5265) — September 2012
- Professional School Counselor (5421) — February 2013
- Reading Specialist (5301)* — September 2012
- School Superintendent Assessment (6021)* — December 2012
- Speech-Language Pathology (5330) — December 2012
* This test is not available in a paper-delivered format except as required for ADA accommodations.
Who Must Take the Tests?
All teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified in Pennsylvania must take The Praxis Series™ tests.
If you are applying for a Vocational certificate (Vocational Instructional I or II), you are required to take the Praxis I® Pre-Professional Skills Tests. For all other licenses, the Praxis I test requirements will be replaced by an alternate basic skills test. Post baccalaureate candidates are no longer required to take the "basic skills" tests as a requirement for certification.
You must also take the appropriate Praxis II® tests for each area of certification you seek.
Also, you must meet the qualifying score for all applicable tests at the time your application for certification is received by the Bureau of School Leadership and Teacher Quality.
Note: Test scores are valid for certification in Pennsylvania for 10 years after the test date for candidates educated in the Commonwealth. Qualifying scores are subject to change. For candidates educated outside the Commonwealth, view interstate certification agreements.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities