Overview of South Carolina Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in South Carolina, all candidates must:
- Meet degree and certification requirements for their certification area.
- Pass the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) test, with the exception of alternate route applicants meeting the criteria of their certification process.
- Pass the appropriate Praxis II® tests required for their certification area.
- Submit the appropriate certification form and fees.
For complete information on educator certification, access the South Carolina Department of Education, Division of Educator Quality & Leadership certification requirements.
- South Carolina requires a Social Security Number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to South Carolina with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN may delay processing of your certification application.
- Beginning with the 2012–13 testing year, ETS is administering a new version of the Theatre test. The test will have a new test code: 0641. The new test covers the same content as the previous test. However, scores are reported on a different scale, so requirements will vary from previous versions. All scores for discontinued tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. Consult the Test Requirements table for specific score requirements.
- ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format which will be introduced throughout the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you.The computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale. However, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes.
- Business Education: Content Knowledge (5101) — December 2012
- Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision (5411) — December 2012
- Family and Consumer Sciences (5121) — December 2012
- Library Media Specialist (5311) — February 2013
- Physical Education: Content and Design (5095) — September 2012
- Professional School Counselor (5421) — February 2013
- Speech-Language Pathology (5330) — December 2012
Who Must Take the Tests?
Applicants entering approved teacher preparation programs must take the Praxis I® Pre-Professional Skills Tests (PPST®). Graduates of approved teacher education programs and certified educators who are adding areas to existing certificates must present the required Praxis II test scores to qualify for certification.
Applicants with a valid, standard certificate issued by another state, a U.S. territory or the Department of Defense Dependents Schools (DoDDS), may be eligible for certification through South Carolina's reciprocity agreement. Interstate reciprocity does not apply to Career and Technology Education Work-based Certification.
The submission of a completed application packet is required for reciprocity. Applicants should be certain to submit all required documentation to the South Carolina Department of Education, Division of Educator Quality and Leadership.
Applicants who are eligible for reciprocity will not be required to take the South Carolina content test(s) for licensure. Content tests may be needed to meet federal No Child Left Behind content competency requirements.
In South Carolina, you must take the appropriate Praxis II tests for each area of certification you seek.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities