Overview of South Dakota Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in South Dakota, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree.
- Complete an approved program of teacher education.
- Pass The Praxis Series™ tests for their certification area. The department may issue a one-year certificate allowing an applicant to complete the required Praxis™ test.
- Beginning with the 2012–13 testing year, ETS is administering a new version of the Theatre test. The test will have a new test code: 0641. The new test covers the same content as the previous test. However, scores are reported on a different scale, so requirements will vary from previous versions. All scores for discontinued tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. Consult the Test Requirements table for specific score requirements.
- ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced throughout the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. The computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale; however, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes.
- Art: Content Knowledge (5134) — February 2013
- Biology: Content Knowledge (5235) — September 2012
- Business Education: Content Knowledge (5101) — December 2012
- Chemistry: Content Knowledge (5245) — September 2012
- Earth and Space Sciences: Content Knowledge (5571) — October 2012
- Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision (5411) — December 2012
- Family and Consumer Sciences (5121) — December 2012
- General Science: Content Knowledge (5435) — September 2012
- Music: Content Knowledge (5113)* — February 2013
- Physics: Content Knowledge (5265) — September 2012
- World and United States History: Content Knowledge (5941) — December 2012
* This test is not available in a paper-delivered format except as required for ADA accommodations.
Who Must Take the Tests?
- Each individual who applies for an initial certificate after July 1, 2005, must take and meet or exceed the qualifying scores of both the appropriate content-specific Praxis II® test(s) and the Praxis Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) test that most accurately matches their level of preparation.
- Applicants prepared by South Dakota institutions must pay careful attention to identifying and recording the correct code number of the preparing institution (the college or university that will recommend them for certification) on their registration form. The information must be written in the "Attending Institution section." (See the Attending Institution/Recipient Codes List).
- After July 1, 2005, each individual who holds a valid South Dakota certificate and wishes to add another area to that certificate must take and pass the appropriate subject assessment test(s).
- Each individual who holds a valid teaching certificate from out of state must submit proof of having met or exceeded the qualifying score for the appropriate Praxis II content area test(s). If the appropriate score(s) are not met, the individual will have to take and pass the appropriate Praxis II content test(s) to attain five-year certification. The department may issue a one-year certificate allowing an applicant to complete the required Praxis test.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to register for the proper subject assessment test. See Test Requirements for the list of certification areas and corresponding subject assessment tests.
Note: Not all certification areas have content-specific tests; to obtain certification and/or endorsement in areas without content-specific tests, the appropriate coursework must be completed.
- About the Praxis Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities