Graphing, scientific and four-function calculators are allowed or required for some Praxis™ tests. Unless it is specifically stated that a calculator is permitted or required for a particular test, calculators may not be used.
Test takers are not permitted to share calculators.
Graphing Calculator Policy
Test administration staff will clear the memory of all graphing calculators both before and after test administration.
We recommend that you:
- back-up any important information in your calculator's memory, including applications, before arriving to the test site.
- know how to clear the memory on the approved calculator that you plan to use during the test.
Note: Instructions on how to back-up and clear the memory of calculators can be found on various calculator websites.
Tests That Do Not Permit Use of a Calculator
In general, unless it is specifically stated that a particular type of calculator is permitted or required for a particular test, calculators may not be used on any Praxis tests.
Tests That Permit the Use of a Calculator
You may use a four-function or scientific calculator for the following tests although you are not required to do so. Graphing calculators are not permitted for these tests.
- Business Education (0101 and 5101)
- Elementary Education: Content Knowledge (0014 and 5014)
- Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects (5031)
- Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects: Mathematics Subtest (5033)
- Elementary Education: Multiple Subjects: Science Subtest (5035)
- Fundamental Subjects: Content Knowledge (0511 and 5511)
- Middle School: Content Knowledge (0146 and 5146)
- Middle School: Multiple Subjects (5141)
- Middle School: Multiple Subjects: Mathematics Subtest (5143)
- Middle School: Multiple Subjects: Science Subtest (5145)
- Pennsylvania Grades 4–8 Core Assessment (5152)
- Pennsylvania Grades 4–8 Core Assessment: Mathematics and Science (5155)
- Pennsylvania Grades 4–8 Subject Concentration: Mathematics (5158)
- Pennsylvania Grades 4–8 Subject Concentration: Science (5159)
You may use a four-function, scientific or graphing calculator for the following tests although you are not required to do so. A graphing calculator may provide an advantage over a scientific calculator on some questions.
- Mathematics: Pedagogy (0065)
- Middle School Mathematics (0069)
If you choose to use a calculator for these tests, you must bring your own with you to the testing center. Calculators are not provided at the test center.
Tests That Require the Use of a Graphing Calculator
The tests listed below require the use of a graphing calculator:
- Mathematics: Content Knowledge (0061 and 5061)
- Mathematics: Proofs, Models and Problems, Part 1 (0063)
Test takers are expected to bring a graphing calculator with the following capabilities:
- Plot the graph of a function within an arbitrary viewing window
- Find the zeros of a function
- Compute the derivative of a function numerically
- Compute the value of a definite integral numerically
Types of Calculators That Are Not Permitted
The following are not permitted:
- Portable/handheld computers or laptops
- Electronic writing pads
- Models with pen-input/stylus/touch-screen capability
- Pocket organizers, cell phones, BlackBerry devices, or personal digital assistants (PDAs)
- Models with QWERTY or typewriter keypads as part of hardware or software
- Models with printers
- Models that make noise or "talk"
- Models that require an electrical outlet
- Models that can access the Internet OR have wireless or Bluetooth capability
- Models that have a camera, scanning capability or digital audio/video player recording/player capability
In addition, the use of any hardware peripherals is not allowed.
Tests that Provide an On-screen Calculator
An on-screen graphing calculator is included as part of the testing software for the Praxis computer-delivered Mathematics: Content Knowledge (5161) and Middle School Mathematics (5169) tests. A tutorial is available so that you may practice using the on-screen calculator prior to test day.
The Praxis Core Academic Skills for Educators: Mathematics test (5732) has a four-function calculator built into the testing software. See additional information to help familiarize yourself with the operation of this calculator.