Overview of Tennessee Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Tennessee, all candidates must do the following:
- Complete an approved teacher preparation program and satisfy Tennessee's licensure test requirements. Required tests for program admission include the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests.
- Demonstrate satisfactory completion of the Praxis II® Subject Assessments. Required tests include the Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) portion and separate Subject Assessment tests for each area of endorsement sought.
- If you test in Tennessee, your score report will be sent automatically to the Tennessee Department of Education. If you test outside of Tennessee, select the Tennessee Department of Education (state code 8190) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Tennessee requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes but will submit it to Tennessee with your tests results. Failure to provide your SSN could delay processing of your certification application.
- Beginning with the 2014–15 testing year, ETS will discontinue paper-delivered testing. However, tests will be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
- ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format which will be introduced in October. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you.
- Art: Content and Analysis (5135) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0135
- Economics (5911) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0911
- Geography (5921) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0921
- Government/Political Science (5931) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0931
- Latin (5601) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0601
- Marketing Education (5561) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0561
- Theatre (5641) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0641
Who Must Take the Tests?
- Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take The Praxis Series® tests.
- Prior to entering a teacher education program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate your qualifications.
- Applicants for initial educator licenses are required to pass the PLT portion of The Praxis Series tests and the designated specialty area exam(s) required for the endorsement area(s) requested.
- If adding a new endorsement area to an existing full Tennessee license, only the specialty area exam(s) required for that area must be taken to obtain the additional endorsement.
- Candidates pursuing alternate routes to licensure must satisfy the same testing requirements as candidates in a traditional program.
Exemption from Testing
For further information on exemption from testing, contact the Office of Educator Licensing.
In Tennessee, you must take the appropriate Praxis II tests for each area of certification you seek.
- About the Praxis® Tests
- The Praxis Series® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs
Ready to take a
Praxis® Official Study Guides and Practice Tests
This on-demand video gives you a perfect starting place for your test preparation. Includes an overview of the tests, how to learn what they cover, where to collect prep materials and more.
See test centers, dates and deadlines for Praxis tests.