Overview of Texas Certification Requirements
Individuals Seeking Initial Certification
For initial teacher certification in Texas, all candidates must:
- Earn a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Complete an approved educator preparation program.
- Pass examinations of professional knowledge and subject-matter knowledge approved by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC).
For details on additional routes to certification, see the TEA website.
Certified Individuals Seeking Certification in Texas
- If you have taken a Praxis II® test and are certified in a state other than Texas, you must have your credentials reviewed by the Texas Education Agency (TEA). To have your credentials reviewed:
- Go to the TEA website and create an Educator Profile.
- Complete an online application for review of credentials.
- Submit the appropriate documents by mail to TEA using score recipient code 8325.
Texas Education Agency (TEA)
Division of Educator Standards
1701 North Congress Avenue
Austin, TX 78701-1494
Individuals Seeking Entrance into an Educator Preparation Program in Texas
- If you hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university and have not yet been admitted into an Educator Preparation Program (EPP) in Texas, you can register to take Pre-Admission Content Tests (PACT)* through the Praxis® program for purposes of admission into the following types of EPPs:
- alternative certification programs
- university alternative certification programs
- university post-baccalaureate programs (without content courses)
*PACT is not for use by out-of-state educators applying for certification in Texas. Out-of-state educators applying for certification in Texas must have their credentials reviewed by TEA. (See above.)
- About the Praxis® Tests
- The Praxis Series® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs