Overview of Utah Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Utah, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree.
- Complete an approved educator preparation program OR have a degree major in a subject taught in Utah secondary schools.
- Pass The Praxis Series® tests for their certification area.
For more information, visit Utah's Initial Licensure page.
- If you test in Utah, your score report will be sent automatically to the Utah State Office of Education. If you test outside of Utah, select the Utah State Office of Education (state code 8375) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Beginning with the 2014–15 testing year, ETS will discontinue paper-delivered testing. However, tests will be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
- ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced in October. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you.
- Economics (5911) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0911
- Geography (5921) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0921
- Government/Political Science (5931) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0931
- Latin (5601) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0601
- Marketing Education (5561) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0561
- Theatre (5641) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0641
Who Must Take the Tests?
- Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take The Praxis Series tests.
- Prior to entering an educator preparation program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests to demonstrate your qualifications. Please contact your college or university for more information regarding entrance requirements.
- In Utah, licensure candidates must pass the Praxis II® test for at least one area of certification for which they are applying.
- Additionally, candidates must pass the Praxis II test for every area of certification for which they are applying in the following areas: Administrative/Supervisory, Counseling, Fine Arts, Foreign Language, Language Arts, Mathematics, School Psychology, Science, Social Studies and Special Education.
- Individuals holding a Level 1 Utah educator license must complete the Early Years Enhancement (EYE) in order to upgrade to a Level 2 Utah educator license. For most candidates, this includes passing at least one of the Praxis II Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) tests. Please contact your district EYE coordinator for more information.
- About the Praxis® Tests
- The Praxis Series® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs