Overview of Utah Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Utah, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree.
- Complete an approved program of teacher education OR have a degree major in a subject taught in Utah secondary schools.
- Pass The Praxis Series™ tests for their certification area.
For more information, visit Utah's Initial Licensure page.
- Beginning with the 2012–13 testing year, ETS is administering new versions of two test titles (listed below). The new tests cover the same content as the previous tests. However, scores are reported on a different scale, so requirements will vary from previous versions. All scores for discontinued tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. Consult the Test Requirements table for specific score requirements.
- Latin — New Test Code: 0601
- Theatre — New Test Code: 0641
ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced throughout the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. For tests available in both formats (paper and computer), the computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale; however, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes.
- Art: Content Knowledge (5134) — February 2013
- Biology: Content Knowledge (5235) — September 2012
- Business Education: Content Knowledge (5101) — December 2012
- Chemistry: Content Knowledge (5245) — September 2012
- Earth and Space Sciences: Content Knowledge (5571) — October 2012
- Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision (5411) — December 2012
- Family and Consumer Sciences (5121) — December 2012
- General Science: Content Knowledge (5435) — September 2012
- Library Media Specialist (5311) — February 2013
- Music: Content Knowledge (5113)* — February 2013
- Physics: Content Knowledge (5265) — September 2012
- Professional School Counselor (5421) — February 2013
- World and United States History: Content Knowledge (5941) — December 2012
* This test is not available in a paper-delivered format except as required for ADA accommodations.
Who Must Take the Tests?
- Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take The Praxis Series tests.
- Prior to entering a teacher education program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis I® tests to demonstrate your qualifications. Please contact your college or university for more information regarding entrance requirements.
- In Utah, licensure candidates must pass the Praxis II® test for at least one area of certification for which they are applying.
- Additionally, candidates must pass the Praxis II test for every area of certification for which they are applying in the following areas: Administrative/Supervisory, Counseling, Fine Arts, Foreign Language, Language Arts, Mathematics, School Psychology, Science, Social Studies and Special Education.
- Individuals holding a Level 1 Utah educator license must complete the Early Years Enhancement (EYE) in order to upgrade to a Level 2 Utah educator license. For most candidates, this includes passing at least one of the Praxis II Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) tests. Please contact your district EYE coordinator for more information.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities