Overview of Utah Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in Utah, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree.
- Complete an approved program of teacher education OR have a degree major in a subject taught in Utah secondary schools.
- Pass The Praxis Series™ tests for their certification area.
For more information, visit Utah's Initial Licensure page.
- If you test in Utah, your score report will be sent automatically to the Utah State Office of Education. If you test outside of Utah, select the Utah State Office of Education (state code 8375) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Beginning with the 2013–14 testing year, ETS is administering a new version of the Health Education test. This new test will be offered in a computer-delivered format and the new test code will be 5551. The new test covers the same content as the previous test. However, scores are reported on a different scale, so requirements will vary from previous versions. All scores for discontinued tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. Consult the Test Requirements table for specific score requirements.
- ETS is offering two additional tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced throughout the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. For tests available in both formats (paper and computer), the computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale; however, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes.
- Speech Communication: Content Knowledge (5221) — December 2013
- Technology Education (5051) — July 2014
Who Must Take the Tests?
- Teacher candidates or those wishing to become certified must take The Praxis Series tests.
- Prior to entering a teacher education program at your college or university, you may be required to take the Praxis I® tests to demonstrate your qualifications. Please contact your college or university for more information regarding entrance requirements.
- In Utah, licensure candidates must pass the Praxis II® test for at least one area of certification for which they are applying.
- Additionally, candidates must pass the Praxis II test for every area of certification for which they are applying in the following areas: Administrative/Supervisory, Counseling, Fine Arts, Foreign Language, Language Arts, Mathematics, School Psychology, Science, Social Studies and Special Education.
- Individuals holding a Level 1 Utah educator license must complete the Early Years Enhancement (EYE) in order to upgrade to a Level 2 Utah educator license. For most candidates, this includes passing at least one of the Praxis II Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) tests. Please contact your district EYE coordinator for more information.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs