Overview of Virginia Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Licensure
Individuals interested in applying for initial licensure in Virginia, must earn a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education and should review the following documents for more specific details regarding Virginia's licensure process and procedures:
- Routes to Licensure in Virginia — Virginia provides multiple routes to licensure, including college and university programs approved by the Board of Education, reciprocity for educators licensed by other states and alternative routes for qualified candidates and career switchers.
- Virginia's approved educator preparation programs or educator preparation programs listed by endorsement area.
- The Praxis Series™ test for selected endorsement areas and/or other approved professional teachers' assessment requirements, as applicable.
- Application for a Virginia license form with the appropriate fees and documentation.
Find further online licensure assistance at the Teach Virginia website, which includes details on obtaining or renewing a license, applications, assessments, endorsements and routes to licensure.
- If you test in Virginia, your scores will be sent automatically to the Virginia Department of Education. If you test outside of Virginia, you must select the Virginia Department of Education (state code 8425) as a score recipient, either when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Even though your scores are electronically submitted, Virginia requests that applicants for licenses submit a copy of all official score reports because scores may not be loaded due to discrepancies in identifying information.
ETS is offering the Technology Education test in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced in July 2014. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. The computer-delivered version covers the same content as the paper-delivered version and is scored on the same scale; however, the computer-delivered test has a different test code.
Who Must Take the Tests?
The Praxis™ Core Academic Skills for Educators (Core) tests or the Praxis I® tests are accepted for entry assessment to Virginia approved programs of educator preparation.
Prior to licensure, you must achieve passing scores on other Virginia Board of Education-approved professional teachers' assessments.
Praxis II® tests are required for specific licensure and endorsement areas.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs