Overview of West Virginia Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Certification
For initial certification in West Virginia, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree
- Complete an approved educator preparation program from a regionally-accredited institution of higher education
- Pass The Praxis Series™ tests for their certification area
- Submit the appropriate certification form and fees
- Undergo a criminal history investigation completed by both the West Virginia State Police and Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Beginning with the 2012–13 testing year, ETS is administering a new version of the Latin test. The test will have a new test code: 0601. The new test covers the same content as the previous test. However, scores are reported on a different scale, so requirements will vary from previous versions. All scores for discontinued tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. Consult the Test Requirements table for specific score requirements.
- ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced throughout the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. The tests are available in both formats (paper and computer). The computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale; however, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes.
- Art: Content Knowledge (5134) — February 2013
- Biology: Content Knowledge (5235) — September 2012
- Business Education: Content Knowledge (5101) — December 2012
- Chemistry: Content Knowledge (5245) — September 2012
- Educational Leadership: Administration and Supervision (5411) — December 2012
- Family and Consumer Sciences (5121) — December 2012
- Library Media Specialist (5311) — February 2013
- Music: Content Knowledge (5113)* — February 2013
- Physics: Content Knowledge (5265) — September 2012
- Professional School Counselor (5421) — February 2013
- Reading Specialist (5301)* — September 2012
- Speech-Language Pathology (5330) — December 2012
* This test is not available in a paper-delivered format except as required for ADA accommodations.
- West Virginia requires your name, address, date of birth and Social Security number (SSN) to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit your information to the West Virginia Department of Education (WVDE) with your test results. Failure to provide the information requested above could delay processing of your certification application.
- If you test in West Virginia, your score report will be sent automatically to the WVDE. If you test outside of West Virginia, select the West Virginia Department of Education (code 8480) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request. You may select up to three recipients at no charge during registration or purchase additional reporting after you test.
Who Must Take the Tests?
Individuals who complete an educator education program approved by the West Virginia Board of Education and leading to West Virginia certification must meet the testing requirements of that program unless exempted by current State Board policy. The testing requirements include the Pre-Professional Skills Tests (PPST®), the content specialty tests and the professional knowledge tests from The Praxis Series™. The PPST is available in paper-delivered and computer-delivered formats. The Praxis II® includes the content specialty test and the professional knowledge tests. (The latter tests are titled Principles of Learning and Teaching.) Contact the teacher education office of any West Virginia institution of higher education for additional information about the tests and testing requirements of State Board Policy 5100.
In West Virginia, you must take the appropriate Praxis II tests for each area of certification you seek.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities