Overview of Wyoming Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Licensure
For initial licensure in Wyoming, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree.
- Complete an approved program of teacher education from a regionally or NCATE accredited institution.
- Earn an institutional recommendation for licensure.
- Submit an official transcript documenting completion of a teacher preparation program.
- Undergo fingerprinting and a background check.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the U.S. and Wyoming Constitutions.
- Submit the required application and fees.
Applicants who are applying for their first educator license in Elementary Education or Social Studies Composite are required to pass The Praxis Series™ tests for their certification area.
For comprehensive information on requirements for obtaining initial licensure, applicants can access the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board.
- Beginning with the 2012–13 testing year, ETS is administering a new version of the Theatre test. The test will have a new test code: 0641. The new test covers the same content as the previous test. However, scores are reported on a different scale, so requirements will vary from previous versions. All scores for discontinued tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken. Consult the Test Requirements table for specific score requirements.
- ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced throughout the testing year. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you. The computer-delivered versions cover the same content as the paper-delivered versions and are scored on the same scale; however, the computer-delivered tests have different test codes.
- Art: Content Knowledge (5134) — February 2013
- Biology: Content Knowledge (5235) — September 2012
- Business Education: Content Knowledge (5101) — December 2012
- Chemistry: Content Knowledge (5245) — September 2012
- Earth and Space Sciences: Content Knowledge (5571) — October 2012
- Family and Consumer Sciences (5121) — December 2012
- Library Media Specialist (5311) — February 2013
- Music: Content Knowledge (5113)* — February 2013
- Physical Education: Content and Design (5095) — September 2012
- Physics: Content Knowledge (5265) — September 2012
- World and United States History: Content Knowledge (5941) — December 2012
* This test is not available in a paper-delivered format except as required for ADA accommodations.
- Wyoming requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Wyoming with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN could delay processing of your certification application.
Who Must Take the Tests?
In Wyoming, there are two teaching areas for which Wyoming requires applicants to pass an approved Praxis II® exam to obtain initial licensure. Additional endorsements to the initial license may be added, via an alternate route, by taking the appropriate Praxis II tests for each area of certification you seek.
All out-of-state applicants are required to submit a verification of work history and a copy of the applicant's current, valid educator license.
In accordance with The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC Interstate Agreement), Wyoming may require an out-of-state applicant to fulfill additional requirements to obtain a Wyoming Educator License.
- About the Praxis™ Tests
- The Praxis Series™ Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities