Overview of Wyoming Testing Requirements
How to Qualify for Licensure
For initial licensure in Wyoming, all candidates must:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree.
- Complete an approved educator preparation program from a regionally or NCATE accredited institution.
- Earn an institutional recommendation for licensure.
- Submit an official transcript documenting completion of an educator preparation program.
- Undergo fingerprinting and a background check.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the U.S. and Wyoming Constitutions.
- Submit the required application and fees.
Applicants who are applying for their first educator license in Elementary Education or Social Studies Composite are required to pass The Praxis Series® tests for their certification area.
For comprehensive information on requirements for obtaining initial licensure, applicants can access the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board.
- If you test in Wyoming, your score report will be sent automatically to the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board. If you test outside of Wyoming, select the Wyoming Professional Teaching Standards Board (state code 8500) as a score recipient when you register or on an additional score report request.
- Beginning with the 2014–15 testing year, ETS will discontinue paper-delivered testing. However, tests will be available in a paper-delivered format as required for ADA accommodations. All scores for previously administered paper-delivered tests are reportable for 10 years from the date the test was taken.
- ETS is offering several additional tests in a computer-delivered format that will be introduced in October. Visit Test Centers and Dates to find testing centers near you.
- Economics (5911) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0911
- Geography (5921) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0921
- Government/Political Science (5931) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0931
- Journalism (5223) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0223
- Theatre (5641) — previously available as paper-delivered test code 0641
- Wyoming requires a Social Security number (SSN) in order to process educator certification paperwork. ETS does not require your SSN for its own purposes, but will submit it to Wyoming with your test results. Failure to provide your SSN could delay processing of your certification application.
Who Must Take the Tests?
In Wyoming, there are two teaching areas for which Wyoming requires applicants to pass an approved Praxis II® exam to obtain initial licensure. Additional endorsements to the initial license may be added, via an alternate route, by taking the appropriate Praxis II tests for each area of certification you seek.
All out-of-state applicants are required to submit a verification of work history and a copy of the applicant's current, valid educator license.
In accordance with The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC Interstate Agreement), Wyoming may require an out-of-state applicant to fulfill additional requirements to obtain a Wyoming Educator License.
- About the Praxis® Tests
- The Praxis Series® Information Bulletin
- Prepare for a Test
- Register for a Test
- Accommodations for Test Takers with Disabilities or Health-related Needs